Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 PM

LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IP Network Camera

Greetings,

Hopefully this is in the correct location.

I have a client that needs 2 IP cameras installed. This would be my first camera. How hard can it be, I am a tech so I should be able to figure it out.

Anyways. I have 2 cameras that I will recomment. Both have audio and one has a microphone (so she can say, get back you to work blah blah blah)

Its a very poor and small shop and they wont pay for a static IP. So I was thinking about creating an account with DYNDNS.org so she can use whatever name I come up with. Below are my steps.

*Setup cameras pointing to door locations (their request)
*Setup router to forward IP to both cameras
*Setup to record
*Setup DYNDSN.org account for remote access
*and test

1. Are the below cameras okay or is there a better recomendations?
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?EDC=1596893
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=953141

2. The clients has little money, would creating an account with DYNDNS the best way to go since its free
3. They only have 1 PC (yes they need to get one more for recording). If I set up the camera to record how much with it affect the PC performance wise (the PC is also the POS and scheduling app)
4. For the sake of installation I chose wireless.

Any suggestions, recommendations input will be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone who already have a business with a name. If you have a name you wanted to user but chose another would you mind if you give me the name. I suck at coming up with names or being creative in that area.

Thank you for you time
Old 03-20-2009, 12:59 AM

Any suggestions from anyone ?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:46 AM

Menaice is an unknown quantity at this point

you will have no issue setting up the IP camera's, but are you going to use an POE injector or will there be a plug next to each camera? dyndns will probably be the best way to go if they want to access remotely
Old 03-20-2009, 02:29 AM

Thank you for your replay.

I am not sure what an POE injector is. The cameras are wireless. I would rather user wire but that means I have to run the wire and the ceiling crawl space is too small. Yes the DYNDNS is so they can access the camera remotely.

Do you have any idea if the cameras I picked are okay for the job? They seem to be kind of expensive. Also if I set the cameras to record on the only PC the client have do you have how much the PC's performance will degrade?

Thank you for your time. Its my first camera job and although setting up is just as a PC with port forwarding I feel that I am missing something and that the client will not be able to view anything.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:41 AM

Normally when your do IP camera's that are wired well you need a way to get power to them. So either theres a socket near by the camera to plug into (not recommended) OR you can get a PoE (Power of Ethernet) injector switch. Which will send the power through the Ethernet cables providing the power for the camera. Those do look like a decent camera. There are all in one packages aswell. Check here http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=370517 That setup is extremely easy to setup.

When you get the camera's setup you need to be careful on how the camera record... they should only record when motion is detected and you can adjust the motion detection sensitivity. A sensitive setup can easily generate 20 gigs of recorded data a day which can eat a HD space up. Its recommended to install a second HD in the computer that will be running the recording software and have the "taped" clips stored there a 500gig should do the job
Old 03-20-2009, 03:25 AM

I was looking at a setup like that but its way over the limit. I can get a setup similar for around $500 but they want to be able to hear, pan, so as a result I chose the ones I listed.

I forgot all about power over ethernet. I will look into that. You mentioned that its not recommend to have a socket near the camera why? I was just thinking about running an extension cord.

Wow the recording can eat up a drive quick. I wish they either had more money or werent cheap. I could probably get them to buy a new HD but they wont buy a new PC due to the economy. Would the recording degrade the PC's performance?

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 AM

while just running extension cords will work its just un-professional really, i know your on a tight budget for the install but i wouldn't want to have extension cords going to them and someone say "hey who installed your cameras" When recording the program is going to take away from the performace of the pc but if the pc has atleast 1 gig of ram you should be fine. I would diffenently recommend a hd, just add another in there and format it. So they will have 1 the OS is on and the other as just data storage for the vid clips
Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM

tartis is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Linksys wireless cam in my house to keep track of teenagers. It is not the best method for a business. He can get a DVR for about $500 and be done. Sams also has a low end model with four cams for $518. The only problem is that you will need to run the coax cable to set this up, and I know that you said that space is limited. With a DVR, when the hard drive fills, it starts over-writing the old video so that you always have a good recording. You can also add a monitor if they need it.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=416898
Web Design, Web Hosting, Email Solutions in Battle Creek, Michigan
Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM

i don't think i would or could ever put a cam in my house to watch people inside my home. i would consider putting one outside. I dunno just seems way to invasive on peoples privacy. If you have to worry about teenagers stealing then don't let them in. But hey its your house you could put a camera in every room if you wanted
Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM

abe is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartis View Post
I have a Linksys wireless cam in my house to keep track of teenagers.
keep track of teenagers!!!!, what type of teenagers need to be kept track of, is your house a prison, i don't want to sound to harsh, but whats going on???????

Abe