Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 PM

abe is on the way
Talking Vista/Win7 nondestructive reinstall

Hi all,

I just had a good experiance with Win7, after i messed up some codec's i decided to do a repair install, which is done in vista/win7 by doing an upgrade install to the current OS, well I did it and would advise anyone I know and cared about, NOT to go down that avenue, it was a 4 hour ordeal which ended in no internet connection and another 2 hours of messing around and eventually I gave up, so with no choice I decided reinstall, i saved my info and popped in the dvd began the process and chose the partition, and I get a popup saying that since there is a previouse installation my drive my info would be saved to a windows.old folder i thought oh great let see if it works, well it worked great and it saved all the info into a windows.old folder read here for all the info http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=193.

Whats intresting and isn't mentioned anywhere is that any info in the root (c is not changed, I had my ketarin download folder and it was left intact and so was my swsetup which is the drivers and setup from hp/compaq, another intresting thing is that when I reinstalled roboform and it remembered all my old passwords.

So to sum it all up a frsh clean install and all my info was there, ready to be copied to the old folders (it keeps the filetree intact so what was in "my documents" just needs to get copy pasted with nothing missing).

I think MS is getting it right at last.

Abe
Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 PM

ithinkyou5.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

i love this feature in vista/win7 however ive had some problems in win7 with the windows.old folder being write protected so i cant delete it when im done has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:13 PM

abe is on the way

this should take care of that problem,

Abe
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM

ithinkyou5.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

omg... why didnt i even think of that? >.< thanks abe you saved me 4 gig of hdd space