Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Azz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ASUS X50R Fan always spinning fast

Hi all,

I am just after some confirmation from the more experience laptop techs.

I have an ASUS X50R that had juice spilt on the top/keyboard. Keyboard has been replaced as it was fubard and all seemed fine, laptop powers/boots up and works as normal.

The only weird thing is the cooling fan is on 100% all of the time, as soon as it is turned on.

Could the juice effected the temp sensor or voltage to fan somehow?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Simmy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Simmy

Can you see any liquid stains on the motherboard? What temps does the mobo/speedfan report, if any? Are the temperatures wildly out or about right for a laptop started from cold?

A damaged temp sensor seems the most likely reason. No idea how you would go about locating/fixing that though. Maybe clean up the PCB - funnily enough I'm currently looking at what solvents can be used to remove crap from PCBs. Did the customer tell you that the fan never used to spin that fast?

Computer Repair Bristol | Bristol IT Support
Vidahost Discount Code | FreeAgent Discount Code | PM Me For A TeamViewer Discount Code
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Azz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
Can you see any liquid stains on the motherboard? What temps does the mobo/speedfan report, if any? Are the temperatures wildly out or about right for a laptop started from cold?

A damaged temp sensor seems the most likely reason. No idea how you would go about locating/fixing that though. Maybe clean up the PCB - funnily enough I'm currently looking at what solvents can be used to remove crap from PCBs. Did the customer tell you that the fan never used to spin that fast?
The temps are around 23oC per core when booted.

They say you could hardly ever hear the fan.

Aaron
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 AM

purple_minion is on a distinguished road

Most likely either the liquid made it to the mb or some connectors and either conducted and fried something just a little or it has dried and is still conducting. I wouldn't put money on the varnish protecting the pcb, but more likely some test points or pins. I would simply take out the MB and wash it. I know it sounds crazy but I've done it many many times with dirty graphics cards. You wash it really well with just running water, shake it out really well, and then let it dry really well. I had one of those oil filled radiators for the winter and would setup some kind of spacer to hold the board above it but not on it (so not to overheat anything) and turn it on low and just walk away for hours. It dries it out very well and so far it has worked very well from MB's to $250 graphics cards. You do need to worry about static of course, but the actual washing isn't going to hurt it, it's powering it on with water still there to conduct. If you are really worried you could get distilled water (and it needs to be distilled so there are no minerals) and use that for the final rinse to get rid of anything that may stay behind and conduct. The critical part of this would be any BGA chips or the CPU holding water underneath them. I believe graphics card memory is BGA and I haven't had an issue yet, just dry it and dry it some more.