Go Back   Technibble Forums > Site Stuff > Repair Tool of the Week Suggestions

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-24-2009, 02:05 PM

georgenoise is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't keep icons on the desktop either. Everything is hotkeyed that i use, if not i use the start bar which is also heavily reorganized. There are no folders on it just direct links.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 PM

vermonter is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a heads up to any user of Fences:

I started using the free version of Fences when I read this post last year. Really liked it as a desktop organizational tool, and decided to upgrade to the $20 paid version as it has a couple of nice enhancements.

I didn't read the fine print, they force you to install a semi-spyware kind of program called Impulse to do the download from their web site. And if you uninstall Impulse, it removes access to Fences.

Just can't believe that a software developer would do that kind of thing these days... I've asked for my money back and they are offering only a 75% refund as it states in the fine print that Impulse is used "to install and update the software".
Old 02-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

Impulse is Stardock's equivilent of Steam and it is nothing like spyware you could maybe argue a similarity to adware but thats a stretch if you ask me. Impulse is a digital distribution store front and while it may have some hooks that it is required for thier software it is still nothing I would be afriad of I have it on my desktop as I have 2 Stardock PC games.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:28 PM

vermonter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the heads up on that Blues (I guess it shows my ignorance when it comes to PC gaming.) Good to know Impulse is legit, but I'd still avoid anything like it on my business desktop for performance reasons.

So it looks like the free version of Fences is good enough for me for now... It does the the job, minus a few bells and whistles of the Pro version.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know how I've lived without this! This should be a sticky; one of the best apps I've ever used!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that Blues (I guess it shows my ignorance when it comes to PC gaming.) Good to know Impulse is legit, but I'd still avoid anything like it on my business desktop for performance reasons.

So it looks like the free version of Fences is good enough for me for now... It does the the job, minus a few bells and whistles of the Pro version.
I did some research the full version was standalone until v0.99 then with out warning or informing people they required Impulse. I have on my PC Impulse set to not run on startup and it doesn't have to run for my games. I run it to update my games and see if there is anything I want to buy off it, so far there hasn't been.