Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM

knc can only hope to improve
Default Crypto prevent..

I am excited if this helps.. Can anyone see any issues this app may cause if installed in a business environment?

Is Nick from Foolishit a member here?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:06 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

I am indeed.

In a server/workstation environment, it's probably best to deploy rules via Group Policy. I don't have any logic to back that up, just that CryptoPrevent was written specifically for people who didn't have that option available. The major downside to using it is that you cannot manage CryptoPrevent's policies via Group Policy editor, as they are artificially created they won't be recognized by the editor.

On the other hand, most people have been creating at best a dozen or so rules in Group Policy whereas CryptoPrevent creates in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 depending on the options you select and the OS.

Current versions of CryptoPrevent aren't known to cause compatibility issues with any legitimate software, with the exception of some remote support apps and Spotify -- for which whitelisting can be applied.

Entirely up to you...

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM

cypress is on a distinguished road

So far after implementing it on client workstations and test workstations for myself I haven't had a problem. This was setup about a week ago.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

I should add that you not enable the Temp Extracted EXEs option though... that can cause some app installations to fail (if they use 7zip self extracting in their setup packages, like Firefox.) Plus I personally think the feature is annoying. I just left it in there because it seems to be 'all the rage' with various guides out there right now.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM

cypress is on a distinguished road

Yeah I have it setup as default just the way listed on your site. Temp Extracted EXE is disabled and testing it with TeamViewer and other apps hasn't given me any problems so far.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 AM

Scott Harrison is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Scott Harrison

I'm looking over this program quite closely as an option to protect many of our clients. If we do go ahead, we're likely to deploy it via our RMM software.

I'll endeavour to share my thoughts on the software, if we do go ahead. Either way, thank you very much to FoolishIT for taking the initiative on this.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Banned

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc View Post
Is Nick from Foolishit a member here?
Okay, I guffawed at that. The D7 thread alone is one of the biggest ones (if not THE) on the board and Nick probably is every 5th post in that thread.

And it's not like he's one of those "post every 6 months when he's got a tech question" guys either.

Edit: ...especially since there are already 2 or 3 active CryptoPrevent threads (one was commented on this morning) and Nick, I believe, has posted in every single one of them.

Last edited by Xander; 11-07-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:29 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Okay, I guffawed at that. The D7 thread alone is one of the biggest ones (if not THE) on the board and Nick probably is every 5th post in that thread.
Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well, how do you know that it's the real Nick from FoolishIT, huh? Seen his driver's license? Taken and tested DNA swabs, have you?

You are far too trusting, my friend. The compromised version of d7 you've downloaded from this "Nick" character has no doubt provided all of your customers' personal information to various secret crime syndicates.

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair