Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 AM

pcstu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to pcstu

Hi, what i have always done is when it comes to family i try to do it for free unless it takes hours then a case of beer is always good. When it comes to "close friends" it again depends on how much time it takes and a case of beer is also good for payment. As for everyone else i usually ask for their credit card details before replying to there problem and tell them that the cost of this type of support saves them the call out fee, and i say it all with a smile. Most will all of a sudden not want an answer and quickly end the conversation. The others are happy to pay, although they don't seem to be as many but it does weed out the bludgers.

Whoops......for got to introduce my self better go do it now......
Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM

bagellad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bagellad

I tell them that I would really have to see the computer and setup to be able to say what the situation is. I refuse to make a diagnosis over the phone for the sheer fact that customers (or the potential cheap bastard ones) are often not giving you the full picture. I once had a customer want me to walk them though setting up a wireless network for their desktop and it turned out they didn't even have a wireless card.. how long would that have taken over the phone to figure out? I see myself as not offering computer service, they could eventually figure out how to fix their computer. I am saving them the several days or weeks of hunting for the solution, swapping parts, begging every family member and friend for free help, accidently losing their info etc.. just for a reasonable price of 59.95 an hour. What a deal!

Anyway to summarize just say "I would need to see the patient to say"

and if they say take a guess

I say I dont make guesses I am a professional, when do you want to book your appointment.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 PM

lawson_jl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to quote my grandmother who worked as a nurse for 30 years. She told me "Your an expert in something get used to people constantly asking questions about." The way I deal with someone asking question is to give gernal answears and point them the Google.

A typical conversation goes:

Customer: "My computer is running slow lately how do I fix it."

Me: "There can be alot of things that will make your pc run slow. Anything from having too many programs running in the back ground, running programs that are too new for your computer, malware or hardware progblem."

Customer: "How do I know which it is?"

Me: "I offer a PC clean up for $50."

Customer" "Um."

Me: "You can Google it and follow the advice you find on the internet, but not all of it is gonna be good and some may even harm your computer."

Customer: "Okay Thanks, bye."
Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 PM

bagellad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bagellad

I really just think its best to suggest an appointment, why even tell them how to do it really? Had a lady who moved today, her computer is making the ram beep now. I could just tell her to push her ram in.. but what if she breaks it? Or thats not the problem? frankly most people dont want to deal with it.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 PM

lawson_jl is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why you never give then a real answear. Just a comment about a comment earlier I get very offended when people try to offer me some amount often $20 to fix something. I respond by saying I charge $80 for a home visit. Most people give me the same basic response of "that's alot." I respond by saying "That's what I charge and if you can find someone to do it cheaper keep me in mind when make it worse."
Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM

nibblesandbits is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddle View Post
Happened to me once never happening again.

A Customer calls saying his computer is not turning on anymore, he asked me when can he bring it by so i told him and then he ask do u have an idea of what it could be? Im like it could be your power supply but im not sure i have to look at it. So i get a call a few days later .."hi im so and so and yeah it turned out to be the power supply i went to best buy and bought one and changed it myself..."

lol
Posts like this make me realize we have a lack of smileys on this site. We need an emoticon of a little round smiley with brains flying out the right side of it's head from shooting itself.

Customers like that suck. Sorry you had that experience. The ultimate slap in the face when you are a professional.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 PM

arrow_runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to arrow_runner Send a message via MSN to arrow_runner Send a message via Yahoo to arrow_runner

I had a customer try to abuse our 'free diagnostics', but since it was a custom built-system, I knew not to tell him anything other than how much the repair would cost.

His custom gaming computer would grind to a halt if you tried to open My Computer or anything really. I told him we could repair it for $60 or he could pay us $30 and we would tell him. He chose $0 and just picked it up while I wasn't there; he tried pestering/begging my wife into telling him what it was, loser...
Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Since I have a very public storefront, we got a fair amount of people that ask about certain problems, and we're pretty good at telling them that "we need to see it and it'll cost $XX for our labor." If they don't have their computer with them already, I'd guess only half come back. If they have it there, probably 90% of them has us work on it.

Along the same lines as this; I refuse to sell parts to people. To me, as a service shop, it's not worth making a couple of dollars on a power supply or hard drive to have a bunch of questions about how to install it. (or have it returned because the person didn't know how to install it.)
We made an exception the other day, because the guy didn't have a car. He bought a power supply from me, then called to tell us that it's not working. He brought the system down and had the 24 pin cable plugged in completely wrong.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 PM

nonchalant is on a distinguished road

Perhaps you just need to be a little more vague when answering their questions..works for me..
Old 03-09-2009, 01:53 AM

Fireddog is on the way

Since I used to work in a retail environment that had hundreds come in every day.. it took time and practice mastering the art of being customer service friendly without giving away one's shirt. IF they didn't have their pc with them and tried to pick my brain I would hit them with this example. "Listen sir I can't properly diagnose your issue without the pc. Its like expecting a doctor to troubleshoot a patient over the phone. That would be foolish and unprofessional. Now if you don't want to make that ride and bring the pc to us.. we will gladly come to you for this price."

I am honest now if its a printer issue that I know repair cost wise would be more then the cost of the visit upfront I admit our fee + the repair cost might be more and I recommend the manufacturers support system first. IF they can't help them then I let them know our diagnostic is 80 bucks. I feel it makes it fair for them and saves me the hassle of having an upset customer. Especially considering printers cost so little now.