Go Back   Technibble Forums > Site Stuff > Site Issues, Requests and Suggestions

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Flyingbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Flyingbull Send a message via Skype™ to Flyingbull
Default Just to complain

Here is a thought, either change the settings in PHP.ini to allow for a longer timeout for you mysql db, or move it to the same server as your website. I know that I've actually had to move sites because of the time drag between a database server and the website. GoDaddy.com is one of the worst, but others do it too.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM

l337 is an unknown quantity at this point

server seems to be getting hit pretty hard atm too gettin sad pageloads lol. im thinking the additional traffic from the toolkit and its advertisment on digg aint helpin lol
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM

dhrandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dhrandy Send a message via Yahoo to dhrandy

Same here with failed page loads.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

I hear you. Technibble is running a dedicated server and the MySQL database is on the same server. Right now, the server is getting slammed with traffic from being on the front page of Digg and then a heap of other sites finding Technibble on Digg, then linking to it themselves.

Digg is enough to make any server cry: http://digg.com/tech_news/A_Computer..._a_Thumb_Drive

Then of course we have Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5154441/comput...rtable-package

Hang tight, it should be better soon.

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com

Last edited by Bryce W; 02-17-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce W View Post
I hear you. Technibble is running a dedicated server and the MySQL database is on the same server. Right now, the server is getting slammed with traffic from being on the front page of Digg and then a heap of other sites finding Technibble on Digg, then linking to it themselves.

Digg is enough to make any server cry: http://digg.com/tech_news/A_Computer..._a_Thumb_Drive

Then of course we have Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5154441/comput...rtable-package

Hang tight, it should be better soon.
I had a similar problem with PHP Nuke, it's one of the reasons why I don't use it any more, when our site started getting a lot of hits, it started failing connections, etc.. It is because each page needs to be compiled on demand, I have had similar problems with my older .asp/vb sites, but not as bad since I don't have a 100% database driven sites. I leave aspects of it static, and only leave the parts that needed to be generated, well that way.
Now WordPress is interesting, it doesn't seem to have the same performance issues, but I haven't seen it under stress yet, so I don't know.
Anyway, I hope your site gets better, I do enjoy posting (whining) in here,

Later!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Wordpress has some caching abilities which I should get working. I should also clean up the layout a bit so it requires less CPU/SQL calls. Check out what I had to do to the Computer Repair Utility Kit page so it could survive a vicious raping from Digg: http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 02-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Wordpress has some caching abilities which I should get working. I should also clean up the layout a bit so it requires less CPU/SQL calls. Check out what I had to do to the Computer Repair Utility Kit page so it could survive a vicious raping from Digg: http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/
Heh, I've done that myself once or twice when I was using PHP Nuke. You know, just for the sake of keeping appearances you might try this, grab the source of the page, (View source, save to a handy folder) edit the page to have your article with the layout elements, and take the elements that refer to login or status out. Since most layout engines use nested tables, it shouldn’t be too difficult to take it out and replace it with a non breaking space  
Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingbull View Post
Heh, I've done that myself once or twice when I was using PHP Nuke. You know, just for the sake of keeping appearances you might try this, grab the source of the page, (View source, save to a handy folder) edit the page to have your article with the layout elements, and take the elements that refer to login or status out. Since most layout engines use nested tables, it shouldn�t be too difficult to take it out and replace it with a non breaking space  

Ok, just because I wasn't sure if I was being clear, I gave an example of what I meant attached (I think it attached anyway).
Attached Files
File Type: zip ArticleReTooled.zip (8.8 KB, 318 views)
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that originally. However, servers CPU goes up to unmanagable loads whenever I do it (because of the extra image loading probably). So I had to revert it to the basic page again.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I did that originally. However, servers CPU goes up to unmanagable loads whenever I do it (because of the extra image loading probably). So I had to revert it to the basic page again.
Your image is only like 18k the page is like 31k by itself, it would have to be something else, I would look more at the google code, I would guess that it was in there twice, having to load google add script more than once might have eaten up your bandwidth more than that image.