Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 AM

Starsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best use of autoruns

Hey guys,

I have downloaded and been using the latest Computer Repair Utility Kit which is fantastic and really helpful. One of the included tools is "Autoruns" which lists not only all the programs that are set to start with windows, but every single service, explorer dll, internet explorer addon, scheduled task, drivers etc. All in all, in pretty much lists every single thing that is loaded on top of the most basic windows boot.

When diagnosing slow computers, it is pretty easy to see the programs that dont need to be run on start and disable them. My questions is....What about the rest of the results that the program lists? What is the best way to decide what is necessary and what isnt? I mean the drivers and processes etc.

Do you just get a feel over time for what should and shouldnt be running? Are there any other programs you can recommend for scanning all the running services and list the ones that can be safely disabled? I also noticed that Vista seems to run about a billion more services and such than xp, as listed by autoruns.

Is Hijack This! the best tool for this? Any other freeware services any of you can recommend? I have found a few websites that list common services that can be disabled but I would be interested in something more robust....

Thanks very much for any help or suggestions,

Michael.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 AM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

I never use HJT any more, Autoruns does everything I need. As for knowing what should or shouldn't be running it's a combination of experience with what rogue programs look like, websites like Blackviper's, and even more experience of what non-malicious but inessential processes most users can do without. GIYF if you don't know what any particular exe or service does.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

TimeCode is on a distinguished road

With autoruns, start with the "Logon" tab and remove progs from there. Then once you have that, move a bit farther.

Also, go to Options > Hide Microsoft Entries then restart the program... This makes your job even easier. But there are definitely times to remove MS options as well.

These are just a few ways to get started.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Jory is on a distinguished road

Whenever I'm testing out a new piece of software along these lines I like to open it in a fresh windows install inside a VM. If you scan through the entries a few times you'll have a lot better idea of what is listed by default. When using it in a real scenerio you have to search Google a lot, but after a while you'll need to do that less and less.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:02 PM

usacvlr is on the way

Glary utilties and tune up utilties 2009 have somewhat of a recommendation system about what should and shouldn't be running. There are other programs. Plus you can use the hijack this log analyzers

You Break It. We Fix It!
http://www.usalaptoprepair.com
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM

Starsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Best use of autoruns

Thanks for the great advice fellas.

I have spent a couple of hours googling all the running services i wasnt too sure about but they all seem to be harmless. Even just spending a few hours researching it has made me heaps more aware of what should and shouldnt be running, and I have even been able to disable a few things I dont need.
Ill make a mental note to try and always remember which services I can remove and which are valid and Im sure with time I will get pretty efficient at it.

Thanks again for the advice,

Michael.