Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Security, Viruses and Trojans

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM

pctutor is on a distinguished road
Default How to remove Chitka adware?

I have a client that is addicted to Pogo.com, which requires Java to be enabled in the browser. She also was using her computer for an extended period of time without any antivirus or antispyware running.

I removed a good bit of malware by running Malwarebytes, Security Essentials, and the Malwarebytes Rootkit (beta). Looked like it was all gone, then up comes these stupid Chitka ads. They are ads that pop up from the bottom of the screen, inviting you to download Flash or to click to go to the Dell website and buy a computer.

Preliminary searches come up with the standard ad pages for software that you can "download" free but cost money later and I think most of them are scams anyway. Anyone have any success with a particular program to get rid of this crap?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

I'm becoming pretty fond of AdwCleaner for things that link into the browser like this.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctutor View Post
Malwarebytes, Security Essentials, and the Malwarebytes Rootkit (beta).
Not enough. Like Xander said, Adwcleaner. I am a big fan of combofix. Did you also check installed programs. Many of these "viruses" are just clever installed programs that will remove themselves completely if done via the control panel.

also do a full "restore" and "reset" in IE advanced settings. Check any addons in there too.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM

I'm waiting to connect remotely to the client's computer remotely, hopefully soon. I will try Adwcleaner. Certainly looks easy to use anyway.

The ads were actually showing up in Chrome. I didn't see any unusual add-ons in there but I do need to check IE as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

An FYI - Adw insists on rebooting. It cleans Chrome and Firefox, too.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:05 PM

bertie40 is a jewel in the roughbertie40 is a jewel in the roughbertie40 is a jewel in the rough

I routinely run adwcleaner on all machines these days.

A bit of a pain with teamviewer though, as i find it kills the connection.

Regarding chrome infections, I find it normally helps to completely delete the user profile and create a fresh one.

Good luk

Last edited by bertie40; 04-06-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 AM

SUCCESS

I connected with the client remotely through TeamViewer (my remote app of choice for the past 2 years). Ran Adwcleaner and yes, it would be nice if it gave the option to reboot later so that you could reboot through TeamViewer and automatically reconnect, but whatever.

After that I reset IE to default settings, and also ran Combofix. It also disconnected me but the client kept me updated as to the progress, and when it was done I was able to reconnect again. Pulled up Chrome, and no more crapware (at least not so far - these things have a way of coming back sometimes of course).

Thanks very much guys - I was familiar with Combofix but not Adwcleaner so now these two will be a regular part of my toolkit.