Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Computer Brainiacs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Printer sharing with XP/Vista

Hi, I have a printer setup to be shared on a XP machine and since i upgraded to vista i cant connect to the printer it always says Access Denied.. Ive tried everything.. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

You have to add the printer manually. I can't remember why, but vista won't let you connect to a printer through the network neighborhood thing like before.

If you go in to add a printer, add it like a local printer, create a new port, then type the path of the printer \\machinename\printername and it should work fine.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Computer Brainiacs is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks man worked perfect.. Vistas so doofy and theres always a new suprise when trying to do basic things
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM

ClickRight is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Vista is goofy. As a side note, sometimes you can't add a printer properly if you have UAC disabled. Why I'm not too sure, but I know I have had to turn it back on to add a printer in some cases. IIRC, I had to do it using the "port add" method as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:25 PM

nelsonm is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not have to manually create a new port and i have attached shared and nwetworked printers with or without UAC. I currently have UAC turned off - its soooo much more pleasant to interact with the system that way.

As long as the XP SP3 printer is shared and Vista SP1 file sharing, private network location and network discovery is turned on - you're good to go.

1. Click on "Printers" from the "Start" menu of the Vista machine.
2. Click on "Add a printer" from the "Printers" window.
3. Click on "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer" from the "Add Printer" window.
4. The "Add Printer" window will start searching for shared, networked or wireless printers.
5. Select the shared printer from the "Select a printer..." list in the "Add Printer" window.
6. Done!

I've done this many times.

P.S.
Sometimes, with XP or Vista, network/shared devices may not appear right away. You can try and manually initiate a new search for devices or just let the system stand for a while or reboot. In any case, in my experience, if the network or shared devices don't show up right away, go get a cup of coffee, they will show up eventually.

Last edited by nelsonm; 01-29-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM

TimeCode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNING REPAIRS View Post
Hi, I have a printer setup to be shared on a XP machine and since i upgraded to vista i cant connect to the printer it always says Access Denied.. Ive tried everything.. Any ideas? Thanks
Dude, why did you post about this twice?