Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-03-2012, 02:03 AM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road
Question transferring SD cards to external HD without computer - possible?

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to copy the contents of a SD card to an external HD without having a computer in between. Does anyone know if this is possible? I basically just want to be able to download a lot of video files daily from a number of sources without needing a computer in between.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 AM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

I think I speak for many when I say "what?".

Deducing from your post, you want to copy files from a sd card to a hdd without an interface between the two. With that information, no; it is not possible. Perhaps you should elaborate on what exactly is your situation and what it is you're wanting to do.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 AM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_geek View Post
I think I speak for many when I say "what?".
With just about any thread the OP creates I find myself saying exactly that...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 AM

layoric is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I've seen a device that does that, two actually. A WIFI sd card, goes straight to a system upon range. Another is a HD which has a direct SD card interface, and automatically copies upon insertion. Found both on Cyberguys.com/their magazine.

iRecoverData.com
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by layoric View Post
Yes, I've seen a device that does that, two actually. A WIFI sd card, goes straight to a system upon range.
The "wifi sd card" doesn't copy to a hard drive, it copies to a system. You can't just put a HD and WIFI SD card near each other and have the files copy accross.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Knightsman is on a distinguished road

no, but I thought it would be cool to have device that would transfer photos to another SD Card, like if people are on vacation, could swap pictures that way.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Photographers use battery-powered portable drives with built-in card readers to backup photos while out shooting. B&H Photo has a variety to chose from: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...9/N/4138043893. As always, do a little research before laying down the cash to make sure any of these things will meet your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsman View Post
no, but I thought it would be cool to have device that would transfer photos to another SD Card, like if people are on vacation, could swap pictures that way.
The main purpose of these drives is to pull files off the cards. However, I think at least some are capable of bi-directional data transfer.

Stephen Gilbert
Code Green Technology
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM

strollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by layoric View Post
Yes, I've seen a device that does that, two actually. A WIFI sd card, goes straight to a system upon range. Another is a HD which has a direct SD card interface, and automatically copies upon insertion. Found both on Cyberguys.com/their magazine.
Those wifi cards only work in cameras, as far as I know. I have one called an Eye-Fi and it can transfer photos and videos from my camera to my PC or to the "cloud". I don't know how you could set it up to transfer to an external drive since the card needs to be plugged into a SD card slot for power.