Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-23-2012, 03:48 AM

nesrinamb is on the way

I completely agree with you on the whole issue with paperwork. It especially scares residential customers and now the only time I use it is when i am doing big projects for businesses. When I'm doing something like virus removal I just ask for cash or credit card.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 AM

cooltech is an unknown quantity at this point

Well with no contract then they would beable to take your business from you so that they can beable to pay the client for the damages to their property and all that time you spent trying to build your business and reputation would be for no reason.

I know their is no ironclad contract but still not having one could be even worse for your business. I mean it would be nice to not have contracts but we would not be here today without them.

But it's really up to the individual person if they real want a contract for their business or should I say loss. When you have built a 5,000 or 10,000 dollar business and you now have to walk away from it. Of course I am looking at it for the long term goal. And you would not want this on your financial records too.

I have not had this done to me but have heard a lot of horror storys. And some that are still in prison for it.

It has made me more cautious as a business person since now knowing about this little bit of info about contracts.

Last edited by cooltech; 07-23-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 PM

nightkingdoms will become famous soon enough

I require a signature at every client call whether that be business or residential. Businesses (unless really small) never have a problem with it, some residential and like I said the smaller businesses can sometimes have a problem with it. I have never had anyone not use my services because of the agreement.

It's been my personal experience that there are two types of people: The ones that want to know what it says, generally. And the ones that want to read it fully themselves. For the ones that want a summary, I look over it while I'm talking to them to make sure they understand what I'm saying without the larger words and in plain English (god forbid you can write a contract in plain English when a lawyer's involved). They always appreciate it and we're ready to sign.

The second type of person is the one that doesn't trust you and wants to read it before you ever touch their computer. For those I always offer to explain the summary version or provide them with a large print format of the agreement that they can keep. If they want to sit there and read the entire agreement word-for-word, I simply tell them that the time starts when I hit the door, so take all the time they need. For the ones that balk at me saying that, I remind them that they're payment me for my time and skill.

I continue with if I didn't charge for my time, I would never get paid. If they continue with balking at paying for my time while they read the agreement, I offer to email them a copy of the blank work order (or large format print agreement) and to call back to reschedule once they're satisfied with it. At that point they seem to understand, sign it, and continue to read it while I work on their computer. I just simply explain there is nothing on the agreement I am trying to hide, the terms are very reasonable and I will happily go over it or answer any questions that they may have.

Until recently I had single 2-page forms with printing on the front and back. Each page was a duplicate of the other with the carbon copying feature. White was my copy, yellow was theirs. They sign it, I complete it, they sign again to confirm everything was given back/to their satisfaction, rip off their copy and hand it to them. Recently I moved away from the custom print jobs for the forms and now use an Android tablet doing everything on that with Square as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Deadeye is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Scarpelli View Post
In the event of catastrophe or theft we are not responsible for losses of your equipment.
Don't you have insurance for this? the only thing that should be lost is data, as most insurance policies cover theft and catastrophes