Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 AM

drastixnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Wooohoooo......My first business client,

Well, I have finaly done it, albent no where near ready I am going to an appointment with my first business client, an dental firm here in my home town.

Please any tips or suggstions on the following
1) Approach
2) What to dress like.
3) What to say
4) price's on call packages etc.

any thing that could help

Regard
Paul Dracevich
Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 AM

Dagooseisloose is an unknown quantity at this point

Be yourself.
I'd dress well but not a suit.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 AM

lsi is on a distinguished road

congrats. not sure what the best approach for a new customer is but I've had good luck with something similar to this:

1. meet with the customer for a few minutes in their office/board room and listen to their concerns and things that are issues in their eyes. take a lot of notes
2. offer to spend a few minutes looking over the server and network closet to see how things are currently set up
3. as you look over the server/network, have a checklist of things you are checking for like:
-RAID set up and health of server drives
-disk space
-service pack level and security patches
-backups
-firewall
-UPS/surge protector
-antivirus
-email setup
-remote access
-file security
-check event logs for any serious errors

4. Once you spend a little bit on the server (not too thorough but maybe 20 or 30 mins) you meet up with them (unless they have been looking over your shoulder the whole time) and go over what you found. Point out things that you would fix or do differently and why (Never badmouth previous IT person's setup. it could be the person you're speaking with, his brother, buddy, etc). Make recommendations for what they think they should fix immediately and what can be done next upgrade cycle. When it comes time to talk money lay out some options on how they would like you to service them (on-call as needed? maintenance contract that includes preventative maintenance?). Sometimes at this point my customers ask me to draft and email a proposal with options and they discuss it in their own meetings and then when we meet again they hire us.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 AM

npinc can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastixnz View Post
Well, I have finaly done it, albent no where near ready I am going to an appointment with my first business client, an dental firm here in my home town.

Please any tips or suggstions on the following
1) Approach
2) What to dress like.
3) What to say
4) price's on call packages etc.

any thing that could help

Regard
Paul Dracevich
Good job! Congrats.

Go in middle to high price range, say as little as possible, just answer the questions. Dress biz casual. Don't make it complicated. Easy, easy, easy.

Otherwise you'll be so transparent it won't be funny. You'll come across "like a whore in a gentleman's spa". Make sure your price is right in line with other professional competitors (not the fly by night, work from their basement variety). That way you'll come across as confident in your abilities and not set off any red flags.

Bring paper and take notes. Copious notes. Ask questions. Speak little, listen much. They will likely offer you a tour. Follow them on the tour. Do NOT start poking into anything, schedule an audit. You're going to be nervous so you will be more likely to make a silly mistake.

Most importantly, go in like you've done it a dozen times. Worst case scenario they say no. Big deal. Wait for the next one and DON'T beat yourself up over it!! But if they say yes, you'll wonder why the hell you were sweating it.

Remember... Keep It Simple Stupid!

Best of luck. Knock it out of the park and let us know how it goes (for what it's worth, this is how I landed a 5 department store chain and a huge contract. It's also what started my ball rolling many years ago).

Last edited by npinc; 07-18-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Most of the stuff mentioned above....common server and network maintenance.

Dental offices, being healthcare, they need uptime! Ensure no cheap switches in there, professionally run wiring, fast network because of x-ray image software, lots of storage.

Get familiar with dental practice software...they're probably running EagleSoft, or PracticeWorks, or Dentrix....as well as other products.

Security of the network, should have a UTM at the edge, not a plain NAT router. Due to healthcare info and probably doing credit card swipes at the chairs for their clients.

Backup product should be of a fast restore BDR option or higher end business continuity product....so you can get the servers backup running again ASAP in case of server hardware failure.

Dental offices often run a LAN chat program

MSP management product on there so you can remote in quickly from your office and tend to issues.