Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising Critique

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 AM

Speedy Computers LLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Website Help Needed

Hello everyone. So i finally gave up on web.com after yet another crap website revision. As you all know www.speedy-computers.net was designed by web.com and it is crap. So i started to make my own using weebly. But this one thing has been driving me crazy. I know its simple too. But how can i move my facebook like box down a little. I dont want it so high in my header. I have tried to use the tag margin 50px 0px 0px 0px but still wont work. I think it has to do with me not putting the tag on the right line in the code. The website i am currently working on is listed below http://speedy-compters.weebly.com

Any feedback would help out alot. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 AM

npinc can only hope to improve

Oh man. That's brutal there, Speedy. The whole thing

Do you have your own webhost?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Argh ... its awful.

and the URL ... ~.weebly.com

... looks dodgy.

Sorry.

Cant think of anything good to say.

Just out of interest, what is this costing you?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 AM

SunBreeze is on a distinguished road

Mate, HTML & CSS = Art

Dump the Weebly stuff all together, no offense but the wallpaper and color scheme makes it look like it's stuck in the 90's

Take a look over at W3schools spend a day reading about HTML and CSS, go and grab something like Bluefish (or if you can afford it, Dreamweaver <3) and you'll have a beautiful site done in no time at all.

If you need a good paid web host check out GoDaddy, if you want a free one check out Byethost (I love it to bits, you get a bit of down time here and there but for a free web host you get no ad's, plenty of bandwidth, storage etc.)

You'll be glad you did it!

Last edited by SunBreeze; 07-14-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Added Links
Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM

tf76 has a spectacular aura abouttf76 has a spectacular aura about

If they haven't changed their policy, sub domains are free.

I will say that weebly is good if you can afford the pro version.
Which is quite costly.

The advantage with the pro version is you can customize the css to your liking.
You can also do this with the free version if you want but you would have to change it everytime you login. I used to keep a copy on my desktop and ftp everytime I wanted to change something.

Alternatively if you like weebly purchase a domain name and forward to it. Definitely get rid of the sub domain, doesn't look to professional.

Regards,
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

My website is on my own server to save money. I use joomla with a linux backend. If your dont want the added work of maintaining your own server then alot of hosting sites do offer joomla installs with mysql databases. I would suggest you work with joomla and you can choose a template from thousands and customize anything about it.

Although my site isnt finished yet as I have been very busy lately with work you can take a look at it in my sig and see for yourself.

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Hosting is so cheap that it's not worth the effort to host it yourself. With the amount of bandwidth we're likely to generate the cost is peanuts.

1repair job = hosting for one year
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 PM

frodo7200 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you use firefox theres a lovely addon called firebug that lets you see and temporarily edit html & css to see what effect that has.

anyway... do you want to move the whole facebook widget down in the header or just the like button in header?
whole thing is in css "connect top clearfix fan_box.connect_top" moves whole widget
or "connect widget td.connect_widget_vertical_center padding" moves just the little like button.

agree with others im afraid, ditch weebly, url on its own just doesnt look professional.
you can get your own url and its yours to use or sell on later. then you've got joomla & wordpress both have loads of great free templates and addon's and free training tips, or code it yourself.
as others have said hosting now is so cheap,godaddy or hostgator from $3 a month (heck i'll give you my affiliate it,lol) or the free one mentioned above sounds good.

also, not being rude but have a look at some of the sites of other members here for ideas on colours that work and layouts. there are some really professional looking ones here (inspired me to update mine).

if you've gone to the trouble of getting a site make it look the best you can.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
Hosting is so cheap that it's not worth the effort to host it yourself. With the amount of bandwidth we're likely to generate the cost is peanuts.

1repair job = hosting for one year
^ what he said. Hosting is dirt cheap. Plus tech support is provided if there are ever any issues (can be VERY handy with a business site that needs to stay up 24/7).

My pick is HostGator. They are excellent.

But yeah self-hosting is a bit of a punt as there are so many potential fault layers. Single machine + power supplier/premises + ISP. You effectively flatten this to a single layer using a provider. This can be optimised further by using an independent monitoring service so that you can address faults immediately if they occur.

Im speaking from experience. Website downtime can be very, very costly.

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 07-15-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:36 AM

technetnerd is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with everyone else buy a professional web host +1 for hostgator