Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegEdit View Post
I've been using this USB to SATA adapter for a while now with no problems.
Not really sure how we are supposed to "review" it without buying it.

I've been using this thing :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156017

for a few years now and never had a problem. I usually do smaller drives so I don't know if it makes any difference with drives over 1TB. It's pretty generic, there must be a half dozen that appear to be the same exact design so its probably being relabled from one supplier. It comes with its own external power brick for the power on the sata so thats nice.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM

technibbling is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer to cut the middle men out if at all possible ...connect straight to the motherboard if at all possible
Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 PM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by technibbling View Post
I prefer to cut the middle men out if at all possible ...connect straight to the motherboard if at all possible
Are you saying that you don't use any adapter? Just connect as a secondary drive? If so, one thing I don't like about that method is that sometimes as error check of the drive is triggered at start up if the drive is marked as "dirty". Error checking is the last thing you want to do in data recovery situations.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by technibbling View Post
Nice, but what is your solution when you can't "cut the middle men out" ?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge PC Support View Post
I try to avoid usb2sata, and prefer to connect a drive direct to the mobo or sata controller. It's much faster and more reliable.
Same here. I use a front loading bay, but I am running Linux, not Windows. Otherwise I use a docking station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mike View Post
I'm using an Arkview Docking station combo, meaning it handles IDE & Sata, and has ports for X-memory, SD and MS cards, and has two USB 2.0 ports. It also has be cool one-button backup feature. Works like a dream, in spite of the Newegg site reviews.
Been through 2 of those, both of them crapped out in less than a year.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 PM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Been through 2 of those, both of them crapped out in less than a year.
I'm guessing yours gets more use than mine; I've got three different ones and just switch them around.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 PM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

FYI… lately I've been buying the StarTech USB 3 + eSATA "toaster" enclosures. The fan on the back is very handy, and USB3 is really fast (and esata is there also):

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-S...words=startech

If you want the most interface options, try Wiebetech (super expensive, and I've had maybe 2 out of 8 go bad in ~5 years, but still really nice):
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/UltraDock_v5.php

Of course, if hooking up a "bad" drive, you should NOT be connecting directly to mobo as others have said, Windows may try to repair them at startup and end up making them much worse (if not completely unrecoverable).
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300DDR View Post

Of course, if hooking up a "bad" drive, you should NOT be connecting directly to mobo as others have said, Windows may try to repair them at startup and end up making them much worse (if not completely unrecoverable).
+1 for that. Its one of the reasons why it so important to learn how to use Linux. The only time we really use Windows is for scans, FAB's and random misc things you can't do in Linux (can't really think of what those things would be at the moment).

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"

Last edited by PCX; 07-02-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 AM

Cambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura aboutCambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura about

Once you've done it once, then you keep an eye out for windows chkdsking and stop it. But otherwise I'm imaging or using gsmartcontrol or using Linux to copy the files off. I can't remember the last time I used usb2sata (or ide)
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM

bsod is an unknown quantity at this point

i have one of those it does its job and was pretty cheap. i like that its more portable than a docking station so its in my backpack with the laptop. ideally i would like a data recovery only workstation but we don't have the office space for it and i also like to be able to work from home sometimes too.