Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 AM

fredz0003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Windows 8 Dev Preview

Any thoughts on Win 8, likes, dislikes.
I will download and install this weekend.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 AM

gikstar is on the way

I'm not crazy about it... just one more O/S to torment me with.

Don't forget to copy the serial key from MS's website. I just installed it tonight after downloading it on 6/1 and I didn't realize you needed a serial key until I started the install.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 AM

ijunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been playing around with it and I like it a little more each time I use it. It also seems a little faster than 7. I didn't think I was going to care for the retro start page but I can drag all my apps, folders etc...and put them anywhere I want. This would be great for grandma, remove everything except email, internet and pictures so she only has 2 or3 choices. that's all she needs right? lol. I find myself using the desktop view a lot, but I think that will change as I become more acquainted and comfortable with the Retro UI. The screenshot feature is pretty neat as well as the desktop recording feature, which I have not played with, just looked at. so far I like it more than I dislike it. I am also hoping Microsoft does something worthwhile with RDP, making it more versatile and useful, like reboot in safe mode. The first DEV preview I couldn't get to work at all, the release preview works wonderfully and I am using it in a virtual machine with 768 mb ram dedicated on a pc with an 1.8 amd turion64 x2, 2 gigs of ram and the host is windows xp pro 32 bit. I'm a little impressed for now.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM

fredz0003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't wait to try out tonight. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 PM

punzada is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it so far. It's a bit of a shock switching over from the standard UI but once you accept that the start menu is now the other piece of the UI and how it functions - its fine. I have absolutely 0 problem with the new layout and don't really understand all the hate for it, it's different but hardly a big deal.

Otherwise really more of the same, same options, slightly different locations, a little more pretty ( I would like to try out the i5 surface a bit ).

I've been having a little more fun playing with Server 2012 though, not that I'm doing much different but I'm impressed with how streamlined and quick they've made most server roles (and how they did the metro style UI for it, I told a coworker it feels like Fisher Price's "My First Server" but that's not necessarily a bad thing).