Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Security, Viruses and Trojans

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Peaceful is on a distinguished road
Default Combofix /uninstall killing DHCP?

Working on a Vista x32 business Compaq laptop, customer was complaining of slow/no response and unable to move files to her external usb hard drive.
She's running security essentials and history shows a TrojanDownloader:Win32/Kuluoz.A removed around the time the problems started.

I get the laptop, and seems to run reasonably well (other than the multitude of startups this lady runs) internet access is fine, no problem.

So I decide to run good ole combofix to see what might still be lurking, it runs, reboots, everything still fine. Run a malwarebytes scan, nothing..SAS scan finds a few bits of this and that, reboot, everything still great. I do some more maintenance stuff, flush temps, defrag, etc. Everything stilll ok.

Additional scans coming up clean, so I decide to uninstall combofix so I do the combofix /uninstall and immediately lose internet. DHCP not running and unable to start, getting dependency service not found or marked for deletion error. I do a system restore pre combofix, internet is back. Install Combofix, it runs, reboots, same deal internet is fine. Uninstall combofix, lose internet. This time, rather than a sys restore I just reinstall combofix, run, reboot, internet is back.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Try uninstalling Combofix and then restoring to default services using D7.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Peaceful is on a distinguished road

Been playing with D7 for a while now, wasn't aware of this default services restore. Exactly where is it, not seeing it?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM

ComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful View Post
Working on a Vista x32 business Compaq laptop, customer was complaining of slow/no response and unable to move files to her external usb hard drive.
She's running security essentials and history shows a TrojanDownloader:Win32/Kuluoz.A removed around the time the problems started.

I get the laptop, and seems to run reasonably well (other than the multitude of startups this lady runs) internet access is fine, no problem.

So I decide to run good ole combofix to see what might still be lurking, it runs, reboots, everything still fine. Run a malwarebytes scan, nothing..SAS scan finds a few bits of this and that, reboot, everything still great. I do some more maintenance stuff, flush temps, defrag, etc. Everything stilll ok.

Additional scans coming up clean, so I decide to uninstall combofix so I do the combofix /uninstall and immediately lose internet. DHCP not running and unable to start, getting dependency service not found or marked for deletion error. I do a system restore pre combofix, internet is back. Install Combofix, it runs, reboots, same deal internet is fine. Uninstall combofix, lose internet. This time, rather than a sys restore I just reinstall combofix, run, reboot, internet is back.
I think i've heard of combofix and a winsock issue before. I think if I had this situation I would probably bust out "total uninstall" but thats a paid program. I just found this blog page here http://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-...re-in-windows/ maybe one of these programs will help you track down the cause. I would be interested in knowing exactly whats breaking the internet.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:04 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful View Post
Been playing with D7 for a while now, wasn't aware of this default services restore. Exactly where is it, not seeing it?
It's on the repair tab >>>repair services>>>import default services
Old 06-19-2012, 02:11 AM

red12049 has a spectacular aura aboutred12049 has a spectacular aura about

Just a hint... If you try stuff after combofix finishes, a lot of things appear broken. Reboot, and all is well.

Rick