Go Back   Technibble Forums > Announcements > Introductions

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 AM

J.J. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi everyone,

Tell us a little about yourself
The name is J.J. and I am located in Michigan. I don't typically join forums as proper research usually gains the answers I need without having to ask questions. In fact the only other forum I have ever joined is on ESPN's Website because I am a huge fantasy football junkie. I am the commish for 2 different leagues involving family and friends only.

I am a gaming fanatic and that is where my interest in computers began. I collect gaming consoles from every era and am working towards owning one of every console ever made. I'm not there yet but I will be hopefully in the next couple of years. While the new consoles are sweet, my favorite is my Turbo GraphX 16.

What country do you live in?
I live in the U.S.A. in the Great Lakes State Michigan.

What is your current experience? (Years working on computers, in the business, certifications etc..)
I started working on computers at the age of 15. I taught myself how to use DOS and the basics of troubleshooting Windows 95 through trial and error experimentation. Now, at the age of 30, I have maintained this same approach over the years as well as conducting proper research and I am quite confident in my skills. I have not bought a computer in nearly 10 years as I just use the equipment other people would have thrown away otherwise.

Over the last 15 years, I have worked on more computers than I can remember. I have 63 people in my current client list and I have yet to charge a single cent for the work I've done. In the last month alone, I have performed 11 re-builds, 2 fresh builds, and a couple dozen troubleshooting jobs ranging from a forgotten admin password to the worst virus I have ever encountered. What can I say? I love doing this stuff.

I do game console repairs as well, but lack a re-ball station to do proper BGA repairs. I've tried some make shift versions but with limited success.

I attended school at the university level to obtain a Bachelor's Degree in IS&T in regards to network administration. However, 2 years in I realized there is no way I can do the 9 to 5 in an office type setting, so I dropped out. That was one expensive lesson to learn.

Three years ago I took the practice exam for the A+ certification and pulled a 97%. While I still may look to get certified, I believe my quality of work speaks louder than some piece of paper. (Please forgive my arrogance.)

Are you self looking to start a computer business, already have one, working for someone else or something else?
I am looking to start my own PC repair business, hence the reason I joined the forums. There are only 2 competitors in my area. The first is the Geek Squad at Best Buy about 25 miles away. The second is a local guy who has been established for about 20 years. I have cleaned up the mess left behind by both.

The local guy, for lack of a better term, is a rip off artist. He charged $250 to revert Windows to an earlier restore point and claimed he performed a re-format job. This happend a week ago. This isn't the first time I have seen this kind of problem with this guy. His loss as I gained a new client. I just feel sorry for all his other clients.

I don't plan to have a store front as I intend to do most of my work in the clients home. I only want to work in residential for now. I only plan to sell my services and not any products. My clients will purchase their own hardware/software and I will perform the installations, tweaks, and updates. I will help them with their decisions and provide them with multiple options to pursue. I will also provide troubleshooting and tech support.

Basically, I will do everthing I do now except I will charge for it. Any thoughts or opinions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Anything else you would like to share? hobbies etc..
GO LIONS!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Default Update

I applied for my DBA this morning and also sent out for my sales tax license. Tomorrow I will go and talk to the zoning board just to cover the bases. I don't intend to have a storefront but it can't hurt to talk with them.

Thursday, I have an appointment with the insurance man to go over my options there. I assume all I need is some basic liabillity insurance but if anyone has more info on this I will greatly appreciate it or any other advice you may have.

I am looking into picking up the Technibble startup kit for the legal documents alone but I am a little concerned about the legitimacy of these. I may have a lawyer go over them just to be safe.

I have worked my beggining advertising costs to that of just ink and paper. I have several friends who deliver newspapers for a living to both residential and businesses alike. All have aggreed to distribute for me as long as I ride along with them on their routes. I plan to do more than this but this will help get me started.

Anyway I will keep you updated on how things are going.

Thanks for the great site.
J.J.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Hi JJ, and welcome to TN.

I will go over some pointers, which you have made if I may.

Firstly, the TN business kit. This has been drafted up, and lawyers have gone over this, the legitimacy is perfect. No need to spend money on something which has already been done.

You may initially only wish to work at your clients premises, but I am sure, you will quickly find this is not feasible 100% of the time. There will be times, when you will have to bring back that pesky computer (nasty rootkit, major motherboard issues, data recovery etc) to name a few.

Also your clients may not wish to pay you your going $$ for sitting there hours at a time, whilst your running things. The $ will soon build up. Whilst your at clients premises, you can only be doing the one job at each time. With a workshop to bring machines back to, you can work on multiple machines = more $$.

Parts. Build yourself up a small stock of parts you will require. Things like USB cables, USB pens, memory (all kinds, all sizes), hard drives etc. Reasons I say this, is A), its lost profit, if you get your client to purchase everything. B) Clients may not know exactly what to purchase. They may go in for eg a 250Gb hard drive, and the store tells them they need a 1Tb drive ergo, more money for the client to fork out, compared to what you may of told the client the cost should be approx.

Advertising. Think of multiple ways of advertising. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Forum. Read, read, and read. There are thousands of pages, and threads here, which I am sure you will find invaluable.

On that note, welcome to the forum, I am sure you will enjoy your stay here.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 AM

Hey Nige,

Thank you for the warm welcome and the pointers.

I should have choosen my wording a little better as I do intend to work out of my shop/home. I just cannot have clients coming back here as my driveway is nearly 2km long and unmaintained creating a liability in itself. The post office, Fedex, UPS, etc all refuse to travel it. I am currently working out a deal with a trusted local business owner to serve as my dropoff/pickup location for parts if needs be.

You definitely have me rethinking my inventory strategy. My initial plan was to simply point my clients to tiger direct, newegg, etc tell them to buy this that and the other. Then when it shows up a week later, I would come back and perform the work. My thought was this would allow me to avoid getting burned by having a stockpile of outdated inventory, but as I say this, I realize that not every client is going to have the latest and greatest equipment. As I have read your comment, as well as threads here and elsewhere, I have come to see the various pitfalls in this idea especially when it comes to appointment scheduling.

As far as advertising goes, I am going to do as much as possible. I already have my Website written, albeit in basic HTML and CSS, it should work for now. As soon as my DBA comes through it will be online along with my Facebook and Twitter pages. I may look into some of the other social networks as well.

I still have a lot to learn no doubt about it. This forum has already answered a lot of the questions I have had. I will certainly continue to read on.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

J.J.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 AM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
Hey Nige, Thank you for the warm welcome and the pointers.

J.J.
Yeah, Nige is great like that.