Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mike View Post
I don't know about HDS, but Crystal Disk does no testing, it just monitors. I would download the manufacturer's test and run that. Seagate? WD" Hitachi?
Hard Disk Sentinal is under Hard Disk tools when you boot from the Hiren's Boot CD. I will run the seagate seatools when I get a chance. The drive doesn't have anything important on it.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM

PcTek9 has a spectacular aura aboutPcTek9 has a spectacular aura about
Default Well, and other weird things...

Sometimes... like for instance, i bought a seagate drive using some new technology that was not supposed to be so prone to drive defects. Unfortunately the new coating they put on the drive was found to fleck off, and cause more defects than previous other drives. Of course SeaGate being the great company they are wouldn't replace the drive using the crappy defective technology, even though they know and admit that the technology was defective itself, and they no longer install it on newer drives. So I'm just wondering if in your case it was a particle from the drive itself that maybe flew up and got in the way then was later pulled to the drives internal particle filter.

So how can a sector be defective and not be defective? idk, maybe a microparticle of dust was there and some vibrations moved it to the drives internal particle filter.

Electronics don't generally repair themselves, so i would claim chaos theory on this one. I would be suspicious of it. I would suspect something was there, which might indicate flecking of the drive platter coating.