Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 AM

Scales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any original or good ideas for tidy dust removal?

Right now I am currently dusting out computers in a very tiny bathroom with a vent. It is just horrible. And nasty. Where I live it rains for what seems like years at a time, so taking them outside the shop is not an option. I am wondering if some of you have some great custom contraptions or ideas on a better dust removal system?

Myself I have thought about building a box with a shop vac attached and a plexiglas glass top with a pair of glove hole thingies(my technical side)sticking through the side.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM

emsbronco is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a small shopvac mounted on the wall and just use that to suck up the dust that gets blown out of the case. I use compressed air to knock the dust loose and direct it towards the shopvac (I keep the hose outside the case towards the rear bottom). A bit of dust gets on the counter around the case and I use the shopvac to pick that up after I move the system.

It's not the cleanest, but I can't see dedicating a spot on the bench for a plexiglass box to put the tower in. I have thought about adding a couple of plexi partitions on the bench itself to keep the dust from going too far, but still allow me to use that section of the bench for a repair.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

For desktops I just use the same vacuum I use for my shop rug. I used to have one of those fancy black cannister vacs made for computers but it wasnt enough. The vac I use is the Hoover Elite Rewind. VERY powerful. Once the desktop is really clean I use compressed air for any small stuff. With laptops I only use compressed air in cans.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 PM

phaZed has a spectacular aura aboutphaZed has a spectacular aura about

Get a Walmart box fan and a cheap home AC filter and tape the filter to the suck-side. Turn it on full and blow the dust out towards the box fan. Works a treat!

Aaron Heidlebaugh
Computer Technician / Owner
www.AaronsPCSupport.com
804-307-4465 (Call or Text)
Laptop LCD repair | DC Power Jack Repair | Virus Removal
Desktop Repair | Hardware | Software | Troubleshooting
Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Some great ideas Many of the cases I have been getting into the shop lately are way to dusty and dirty to not keep it contained. If I blew them out near my bench I would have to dust my entire bench and store front.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 PM

Aescaepulus is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in a small shop and am always concerned with the health aspect of breathing dust from other folks machines, particularly ones I pick up from physician offices.

I have a bathroom next to my space, so I went into the roof and put a Y connector inline with the bathroom vent piping, installed the most powerful bathroom vent fan I could find and wired it up. I brought a length of pipe down from the ceiling to a kitchen vent top to use as a plenum.

From there I just open the case, fire up the fan and begin brushing the innards out with a natural bristle brush with a wood handle. Then I finish with the compressed air. I still have to use the shop vac to clean up, but at least there's no stray dust (or neat little pathogens like tuberculosis, mycoplasmins, mite poop, etc...) floating around to make me cough....
Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM

I am going to attempt building something soon. I keep getting too many over the top dusty cases and can't handle sneezing all day. I will post pics when I am done.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM

SilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaZed View Post
Get a Walmart box fan and a cheap home AC filter and tape the filter to the suck-side. Turn it on full and blow the dust out towards the box fan. Works a treat!
Good idea! I might give this a try.

Currently, I use a small shop vac to vacuum the bulk of the dirt out. Then, by switching hose ports, the vac becomes a very powerful blower to finish the job. But, it still makes a mess.

Sounds like your contraption might just solve the problem...might even re-purpose a large cardboard box as a shroud on the intake side as well.

My guides for using Parted Magic in the shop:

Hardware Testing With Parted Magic
Guide to Using ddrescue
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLeaf View Post
Currently, I use a small shop vac to vacuum the bulk of the dirt out. Then, by switching hose ports, the vac becomes a very powerful blower to finish the job. But, it still makes a mess.
I use something similar on site. Clients do not appreciate blowing dust in their office or home, and you can't always take it outside. Vacuuming captures a lot of the dust, but you still need to blow it out.

I am always looking for a small powerfull vacuum that turns into a blower but I haven't found the right one yet.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 PM

Location: Beattyville, KY (take a right at Nowhere, then go 30 miles).
3ft can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrenda View Post
I am always looking for a small powerfull vacuum that turns into a blower but I haven't found the right one yet.
I use a DataVac ED500 - great blower, not helpful on the "suck" end of the equation though. If it's super nasty (which most are), I take it back to the shop bathroom and blow it out there, so it can be swept up afterwards.