Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising Critique

  Technibble Sponsor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42
Clockwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Website input

http://clockworkit.net

It has certainly been a while, and I have made some drastic changes to my business. The biggest of which is dropping repair in its entirety, and focusing on custom machines and sales.

I have seen a massive jump in profit and customers since doing this.

Above is my website, and though far from finished, it is very functional. However, I have a few things I would like to add and I'm not entirely sure where to place them.

I would like to add a section about the hardware I use in my builds, and why I used it. Not sure if I should put this under "products" or "about". Or, possibly add a new section to the menu along the lines of "resources" or "support".

I also want to add a bit to the footer. I wanted to put a slide show down there of machines I have built, but I'm still left with a lot of blank space. Maybe I can put some testimonials down there? Not sure.

Any input is certainly welcome!

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM
NYJimbo's Avatar
NYJimbo NYJimbo is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, you know, like the iced tea.
Posts: 6,416
NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
The biggest of which is dropping repair in its entirety, and focusing on custom machines and sales.

I have seen a massive jump in profit and customers since doing this.
Not trying to change the subject about your website, but I am not sure I understand how you stop doing repair completely but manage to sell computers to people. Are you promoting yourself somewhere that brings in people ?

Do you have some kind of special way of convincing people that your custom machines are better than name brand or machines recommended by a repair tech ? I just don't understand how you get to the people unless you have a shop or some kind of advertising and makes people think you are better than what's already out there.

If your custom machines have a problem aren't you repairing them and you're right back into the repair business ? I mean you are married to that machine as you are not just a reseller.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42
Clockwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJimbo View Post
Not trying to change the subject about your website, but I am not sure I understand how you stop doing repair completely but manage to sell computers to people. Are you promoting yourself somewhere that brings in people ?

Do you have some kind of special way of convincing people that your custom machines are better than name brand or machines recommended by a repair tech ? I just don't understand how you get to the people unless you have a shop or some kind of advertising and makes people think you are better than what's already out there.

If your custom machines have a problem aren't you repairing them and you're right back into the repair business ? I mean you are married to that machine as you are not just a reseller.
Yes... I am marketing, haha.

And if one of my machines has a problem, I have a warranty in place and I do support those machines. However, I don't remove viruses, I don't fix user error, and I don't offer a flat "repair" service.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 PM
NYJimbo's Avatar
NYJimbo NYJimbo is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, you know, like the iced tea.
Posts: 6,416
NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
However, I don't remove viruses, I don't fix user error, and I don't offer a flat "repair" service.
Ok, but that's just kinda weird to me. I think if John Doe buys a computer from you (assuming its relatively local ?) and he gets a virus and comes to you, do you say "No, go somewhere else !" ?

A few shops here tried selling their own-labeled desktops and it just sucked the blood out of them. Anyway, if it works for you great. I was just trying to figure out the small stuff. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42
Clockwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJimbo View Post
Ok, but that's just kinda weird to me. I think if John Doe buys a computer from you (assuming its relatively local ?) and he gets a virus and comes to you, do you say "No, go somewhere else !" ?

A few shops here tried selling their own-labeled desktops and it just sucked the blood out of them. Anyway, if it works for you great. I was just trying to figure out the small stuff. Thanks.
Almost 100% of my sales are over the internet. I think I have sold one machine locally, and I haven't heard from the guy since. By doing this, I have expanded my market to the entire US, instead of some small town in Missouri that nobody cares about.

This also completely eliminates all overhead, and the need for a store front. I've converted into an online entity. Everything I do is 100% profit.

And yeah, pretty much. If they call me with a virus problem I tell them "you can download program x and run it, but outside of that, you will want to contact a local IT service".

However, that has yet to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 PM
jrl2222 jrl2222 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Western Michigan, USA
Posts: 118
jrl2222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

First thing I noticed was in IE 9 on my computer I see the animated gif with white lines across the black tower. I took screen shots and built my own gif so you could see what I see. I checked in chrome and firefox and it seems fine there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.gif
Views:	80
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	2385
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42
Clockwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl2222 View Post
First thing I noticed was in IE 9 on my computer I see the animated gif with white lines across the black tower. I took screen shots and built my own gif so you could see what I see. I checked in chrome and firefox and it seems fine there.

Attachment 2385
Aha, nice catch. Thank you sir. Is it like that on the other banners?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
jrl2222 jrl2222 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Western Michigan, USA
Posts: 118
jrl2222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

That is the only one I saw this on. Can't image what it would be since it is a gif image and when I said your gif it doesn't seem to be there. Maybe simply resaving from the original will clear it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Tab Alternatives's Avatar
Tab Alternatives Tab Alternatives is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 77
Tab Alternatives is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Tab Alternatives Send a message via Skype™ to Tab Alternatives
Default

You have all control over your business, and where you want to head it. I am not trying to change your mind, just hoping to spark something in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
And if one of my machines has a problem, I have a warranty in place and I do support those machines. However, I don't remove viruses, I don't fix user error, and I don't offer a flat "repair" service.
But, looking at it at a sales point-of-view, you should try and get all the business you can out of your customers. If you sell them your product, you should sell them not only a warranty, sell them service. You sold them on a computer, since you have them on the hook why not use that advantage and sell them services to go along with the machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
The biggest of which is dropping repair in its entirety, and focusing on custom machines and sales.

I have seen a massive jump in profit and customers since doing this.
Obviously you are interested in profit, as we all are, so why offer one service and not another? You can generate yet more profit. Serious customers that have an expensive machine, want maintenance. Offer ongoing maintenance services. This can all be done remotely so there's no excuses not to! You have done repair in the past, and since it's relatively easy work to do offer it and make yet more profit. Keep customers, don't drive them away by denying them services!

That's just my 5c
__________________
May the force be with you,


Don't call a GEEK, call a PROFESSIONAL.
Facebook | Yelp | LinkedIn | Website
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42
Clockwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab Alternatives View Post
You have all control over your business, and where you want to head it. I am not trying to change your mind, just hoping to spark something in it.

But, looking at it at a sales point-of-view, you should try and get all the business you can out of your customers. If you sell them your product, you should sell them not only a warranty, sell them service. You sold them on a computer, since you have them on the hook why not use that advantage and sell them services to go along with the machine.

Obviously you are interested in profit, as we all are, so why offer one service and not another? You can generate yet more profit. Serious customers that have an expensive machine, want maintenance. Offer ongoing maintenance services. This can all be done remotely so there's no excuses not to! You have done repair in the past, and since it's relatively easy work to do offer it and make yet more profit. Keep customers, don't drive them away by denying them services!

That's just my 5c
Dealing with general repair due to user error is too time consuming. I work 8-5 as IT, and come home to work for myself.

However, the on going maintenance service is something I hadn't thought of. That is a good idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Technibble.com is based out of MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA.