Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 PM

crashtech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quiet, Durable Fans

I'm about out of my trusty Vantec Stealth fans. I had a pile of them in 120 and 80mm and now I only have one 80mm left, so it's time to buy some more. They've served me well, but perhaps there is a better and/or cheaper product out there that I need to know about. Don't particularly want lights or goofy looking things, just nice quiet black fans. What are all the good techs using these days? Oh, and what's the scoop on "nanoflux bearings?" Marketing whizbang, or true innovation?

I love it when people say, "It's so quiet now!"
Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

ZALMAN.

filler.......
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Nexus or Noctua

More info here

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 AM

I think sleeve bearings as in the Nexus fans are out, as far as I'm concerned. Though it's possible to build a sleeve bearing with a long MTBF, virtually all the fans I've replaced due to noise or malfunction have been sleeve bearing fans. The fans I've been using are dual ball bearing and I've not experienced any failures.

It seems that Noctua also uses a variant of the nanoflux bearing, as well as Zalman's ELQ. Not having any experience with the longevity of such designs, I'd probably continue to gravitate toward the trusty ball bearing designs, even if they are a bit louder. That is, unless some convincing testimonials come along...
Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 AM

RedFoxComp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech View Post
I think sleeve bearings as in the Nexus fans are out, as far as I'm concerned. Though it's possible to build a sleeve bearing with a long MTBF, virtually all the fans I've replaced due to noise or malfunction have been sleeve bearing fans. The fans I've been using are dual ball bearing and I've not experienced any failures.

It seems that Noctua also uses a variant of the nanoflux bearing, as well as Zalman's ELQ. Not having any experience with the longevity of such designs, I'd probably continue to gravitate toward the trusty ball bearing designs, even if they are a bit louder. That is, unless some convincing testimonials come along...
I use nothing but Arctic Cooling fans. Quiet, relatively cheap, fluid dynamic bearing and 6 year warranty.

Last edited by RedFoxComp; 06-07-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 AM

I should know better than to think any consensus would emerge, even amongst professionals!

It does seem as if the superiority of ball bearings is being challenged by the fluid bearings, if manufacturers are offering 6 year warranties on them.