Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Checkmate
Default Anyone gonna recommend Win8

So have had the beta of Win 8 since release, and while I like some features, I really don't see the general public wanting this. I can see it working well on tablets and the phone, but as a desktop I'm still not impressed.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Seems like no one really cares about this version.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

I'm not really impressed with it so far, but then it is too soon to tell. I'll probably know more in June when the new release is issued.

However, as with any Microsoft product, I doubt I'll have much of a choice. Consumers will buy a new PC with it, and I'll be having to make my money on training. On the upside, if I am having trouble figuring out how it works, I should be able to make a fortune on training my customers!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 PM

Jobrien is an unknown quantity at this point

Also keep in mind that when it comes out, it's gonna come out with a whole slew of touch screen enabled devices and computers. Careful when you help people buy a computer with an Upgrade to 8 option cause they may not want 8 on a "pre 8" device. Personally I've been advising my customers wanting to buy a PC, to either wait for a fancy new windows 8 computer, or to look for a deal on a windows 7 pc now and live without 8.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Recommend : no
Learn Windows 8 so that I will be able to support it : yes
Old 05-23-2012, 03:51 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
Recommend : no
Learn Windows 8 so that I will be able to support it : yes
^^^ This

I don't deal much with home users...so not a biggie.
99% of clients are business networks....so naturally a new OS doesn't really get a market in the business network world until the first service pack is released.

...something about Windows 8 makes me think of that gawd aweful outsourced abortion called "Windows ME"......
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM

mraikes is a jewel in the roughmraikes is a jewel in the roughmraikes is a jewel in the roughmraikes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
So have had the beta of Win 8 since release, and while I like some features, I really don't see the general public wanting this. I can see it working well on tablets and the phone, but as a desktop I'm still not impressed.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Seems like no one really cares about this version.
From Windows 3.0 onward, I've never seen the "general public" want any OS change from MS.

The typical user gets accustomed to whatever they currently have, but are forced by MS to change to something different. What non-techie end user has ever actually asked for an OS change? Except to change it BACK to what they had before . . .

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a ukulele. And that's pretty close." Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

I was all for Vista and Windows 7 when they came out (due to my inner geek) but I have a hard time liking Windows 8 so I doubt I will recommend anytime soon.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 AM

Tepin is on the way

Windows releases are like Star Trek movies, every other one is going to suck/be good .. depending on how you want to look at it.

I stuck with XP through Vista because even though it had some nice features the resource management was bad. Terrible. Horrendous!

They ironed out a lot of the kinks though and I bought 7 before I upgraded my PC. Athlon 64 3200+ with 1.5 gigs of DDR and it ran just as smoothly as it did with XP installed.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM

frase is on the way

without the touchscreen its kinda like windows 7 really, so no point as someone previously stated good for understanding the environment thats about it.

http://byteablesolutions.com.au/
Old 05-24-2012, 11:33 AM

rudger is an unknown quantity at this point

I Dont like Windows 8 but I will have to support it with customers, a bit like vista I was never happy with Vista to the extent I never purchased a License for Vista in the home/office as I was much happier to stick with windows xp until windows 7 came out.

I Think Microsoft work on the good bad release cycle XP = Good, Vista = Bad, 7 = Good, 8 = Bad?

I will wait until Windows 9 for the next home/office OS updates I expect to be released around 2014