Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Benchtech is on a distinguished road
Default The Great Google Places screw over

So It's been 9days since my listing has disappeared off of Google Maps/Places along with my reviews I worked so hard for that made me stand out above my local competition and brought in on average 30 calls a week. Since then I have received 1 call from Google, and 19 calls from craigslist.

Submitted a support ticket and have been waiting 4days now with no response. =(
Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchtech View Post
So It's been 9days since my listing has disappeared off of Google Maps/Places along with my reviews I worked so hard for that made me stand out above my local competition and brought in on average 30 calls a week. Since then I have received 1 call from Google, and 19 calls from craigslist.

Submitted a support ticket and have been waiting 4days now with no response. =(
Did you change anything on your listing? I wont even change the hours on my google places because the last time I changed the phone number, my listing was taken down for over a month.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM

Benchtech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Did you change anything on your listing? I wont even change the hours on my google places because the last time I changed the phone number, my listing was taken down for over a month.
I think that would make my cry...I did change the address and been regretting it ever since!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
I think that would make my cry...I did change the address and been regretting it ever since!
I hate to tell you this, but when I changed my phone number, I lost all my reviews, then a few of them came back a week later (after it was finally back on google) then a few months later the rest magically appeared. Be prepared for the worst.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 PM

ell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
OMG, don't get me started on GP!! Mine was down over a year!!! let me give you some advice from a expert, DO NOT EDIT YOUR LISTING! If you changed your address or phone, web url, or anything else except pictures, your pretty much screwed for a couple months minimum. Google reps can make edits but they have no control over the google bots that handle the data, it is only updated once, maybe twice a month. The MAJOR key is that all your other web listings match your places listing EXACTLY or the bot will split your listing or completely throw you out. There a google places forum you can hop on, and a rep might read your post, but still there is only so much they can do BUT on the "bright side" after 13 months of anguish, I finally got my listing back to #2 plus all my reviews from years back returned. Your reviews are tied to your phone, address, title and url, as long as all those are consistent all across the web, they should return, unless you wrote them yourself from your own ip address, then they would be gone.

Last edited by ell; 05-22-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM

jdpetrov is on a distinguished road

I had my listing disappear for 4 weeks and I didn't even TOUCH my listing. Magically it came back.

Interestingly enough, even though I am visible top of the fold, no one seems to find me through my listing. I just live in a geographic area that has yet to clue in to the fact that you can get on them fancy internets and look for a computer repair place.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Cambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura aboutCambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura about

All goes to show that you can't rely on Google Places at all!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 PM

anglian is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how google decides the places listings?
I occupy 1st place for my keywords, yet am only 10th in places, which might as well not even be there....
None of the places above me have any reviews, and some of them don't appear on the first 2 pages in search results.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:24 PM

ell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglian View Post
Does anyone know how google decides the places listings?
I occupy 1st place for my keywords, yet am only 10th in places, which might as well not even be there....
None of the places above me have any reviews, and some of them don't appear on the first 2 pages in search results.
I've done tons of research on gp, your rank is based on "trust", the more the google bot sees you on the web, with the same info, the more the machine finds you relevant. Reviews help, but they are only a small part of the algorithm, (which is closely guarded secret with google to keep things fair) and they change it too. Age has alot to do with it too, how long you have been around, and you must have a physical location, address listed on your web site helps, no po boxes or if you hide your address that buries you too. GP draws off google maps, so a physical visible location is required. Chances are if you google one of the top ranked places by name you'll see they are listed in many other search engines. Google will also penalize you if you spam your listing, repeating key words or putting your city name in your business title or description.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell View Post
I've done tons of research on gp, your rank is based on "trust", the more the google bot sees you on the web, with the same info, the more the machine finds you relevant. Reviews help, but they are only a small part of the algorithm, (which is closely guarded secret with google to keep things fair) and they change it too. Age has alot to do with it too, how long you have been around, and you must have a physical location, address listed on your web site helps, no po boxes or if you hide your address that buries you too. GP draws off google maps, so a physical visible location is required. Chances are if you google one of the top ranked places by name you'll see they are listed in many other search engines. Google will also penalize you if you spam your listing, repeating key words or putting your city name in your business title or description.
Thanks, ell! That is awesome info.