Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 PM

quinnlaup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MacBook Pro wont boot

I got a MBP in yesterday which will not boot. At this stage all i know is that its an A1278 it must be reasonably new because its using DDR3. According to the install disk its running osx 10.6.3 (at least). What happened was the customer was using Bootcamp to install windows 7 he says it installed successfully however after inserting his OSX disk to install keyboard drivers he restarted and now it wont boot. Basically it powers on and you hear the chime but it does not attempt to boot you do not see the spinning gear. So far i have tried to reset the the PRAM using command, option,P,R but this did not complete as the MBP failed to restart itself. I have also removed the drive and tested it (passed ok). In addition i used disk utility on our own G5 mac to verify the disk which it says is fine. As i had already removed the customers drive i fitted a "spare" drive and inserted the install disk and attempted to boot the MBP again it would not boot (powered on normally with the chime but no apple logo or spinning gear). I have also tried holding down the option key on startup to change the startup disk both with the customers HDD and the spare drive installed and both times i am unable to get any boot options up on the screen. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this if anyone requires more information please feel free to ask.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 PM

arrow_runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to arrow_runner Send a message via MSN to arrow_runner Send a message via Yahoo to arrow_runner

Will it boot with just a boot disk and no hard disk?

Also, if it's so new, is it under warranty?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnlaup View Post
I got a MBP in yesterday which will not boot. At this stage all i know is that its an A1278 it must be reasonably new because its using DDR3. According to the install disk its running osx 10.6.3 (at least).
A Macbook Pro model A1278 running DDR3 Ram could be anything made in the last 3 years. So with that, a 10.6.3 install disk may or may not even boot that machine. So really more info about the machine is required and a little more due diligence figuring out the specs or this is going to turn into 20 or more questions.

Also, in disk utility under the drive, did it show 2 volumes like "Macintosh HD" and "Bootcamp" or just one volume?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 PM

Hi guys thanks for your interest

arrow_runner unfortunately it wont boot from the install disk with the hard drive removed. anonymous Mac Tech the drive did show up in disk utility as 2 volumes both Macintosh HD and bootcamp. I will get as much detail as possible about the specs when i get back in tomorrow.

kind regards

quinnlaup
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM

As requested i have identified the MBP as MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" Mid-2010 i also checked with the customer regarding software updates and he has confirmed that it is running snow leopard.

kind regards

quinnlaup
Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnlaup View Post
I have also tried holding down the option key on startup to change the startup disk both with the customers HDD and the spare drive installed and both times i am unable to get any boot options up on the screen.
What happens when you hold the option key with the 10.6.3 install disk in the optical drive? Or better yet if you have a usb/firewire to SATA dock or enclosure to put the customers drive into, then hold the option key to go to boot manager and see if it shows as a mounted volume.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:28 PM

@anonymous Mac Tech

Tried to boot the MBP with the install disk inserted and the HDD connected via a usb enclosure unfortunately i cant get access to the boot manager all i get is a white screen? Am i correct in saying that this model does not have a PRAM battery?

kind regards

quinnlaup
Old 05-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Its almost starting to seem like a video problem or possibly bad RAM. Try putting the customers drive back, then just start it up normally connected to an external display. If nothing then try one RAM chip at a time or try some known good RAM. Should take DDR3 1066MHZ SO-DIMMs.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 PM

I'll try both suggestions when I get back in tomorrow I will let you know how it goes thanks again for taking time out to help me.

Kind regards

Quinnlaup
Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Just wanted to update this thread i swapped the RAM sticks for known good sticks unfortunately it made no difference. I had to order up a mini display port adapter to check the output on an external screen so as soon as i get it i will update the thread again.

kind regards

quinnlaup