Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 AM

steve02a is an unknown quantity at this point
Question svchost.exe consumes high CPU and eats memory

I read the article on this site: how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak

However, the solutions provided didn't help. I can go into task manager or process explorer and kill the process, but it comes back after 5 minutes to start eating memory.

No HP printer, so no HP software installed. Disabled automatic updates - no help (of course, can't run windows update w/that off either). Using the process explorer, I can see the child processes running under my psycho svchost.exe and one is telephony, but if I disable that - it disables the Remote Access Connection Monitor - which will in effect, boot you off the network and won't let you view the network or anything - so that's out of the question. There were a couple other child processes, but useless ones the computer or user didn't need so I disabled those services - however, the svchost.exe still pokes it head back to eat memory and hog up the CPU.

I have the Windows Agent v3 installed. I have KB927891 installed. Even created a new user account (w/admin). None of those solved the problem.

Needless to say - the computer is just useless. Takes 5 minutes to open IE because the CPU is 100% for one process. Can't really do much of anything on the computer. And for the user "Trusted IT Solutions" - yea, I ran AV and malware scans.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you advance

(please keep smart ass remarks to yourself....I've gotten 3 of them already, but users go and delete their reply - but I still get a notification in email so I know what you say...)

Last edited by steve02a; 05-09-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: adding more details to issue
Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve02a View Post
I read the article on this site: how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak

However, the solutions provided didn't help. I can go into task manager or process explorer and kill the process, but it comes back after 5 minutes to start eating memory.

No HP printer, so no HP software installed. Disabled automatic updates - no help (of course, can't run windows update w/that off either). Using the process explorer, I can see the child processes running under my psycho svchost.exe and one is telephony, but if I disable that - it disables the Remote Access Connection Monitor - which will in effect, boot you off the network and won't let you view the network or anything - so that's out of the question. There were a couple other child processes, but useless ones the computer or user didn't need so I disabled those services - however, the svchost.exe still pokes it head back to eat memory and hog up the CPU.

I have the Windows Agent v3 installed. I have KB927891 installed. Even created a new user account (w/admin). None of those solved the problem.

Needless to say - the computer is just useless. Takes 5 minutes to open IE because the CPU is 100% for one process. Can't really do much of anything on the computer.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you advance
You're confused, or it's a typo.

scvhost is a virus, svchost is a valid process.

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:35 AM

Sorry...my mistake....TYPO....

svchost.....the actual windows process
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 AM

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

On whose computer is this happening? Yours or a customers?

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or something.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.
Never trust a "tech" with a hotmail address.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 AM

This is on a client computer. Windows XP w/SP3 and all the latest updates through April 2012.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Have a look at this...

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247

And for all those viewing the only reason that I am posting this is because the gentleman who started this thread PM'd me because I previously posted in this thread (but deleted the post as he references) and stated that this seems pretty basic for an IT pro of 25 years. I also asked him if he had even scanned for malware yet which he had not mentioned whether he had or not in the first ( unedited) post.

"Examples of good questions include most of the following:
- What were you trying to do?
- What have you tried already, and what happened as a result?
- What was the exact error message you received?
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?
- Have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
- What changes have occured on the system between the time everything was working and when you noticed the problem

Dont let us assume, tell us right at the beginning. In return you are more likely to get the right answer quicker."

Last edited by Encrypted Existence; 05-09-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

I would like to apologize to Steve02a and the rest of the members of the forum for how I have acted and the things i have said in this thread and in my original post(in this thread). I feel my posts have been inappropriate and rude. I am sorry Steve.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
I would like to apologize to Steve02a and the rest of the members of the forum for how I have acted and the things i have said in this thread and in my original post(in this thread). I feel my posts have been inappropriate and rude. I am sorry Steve.

Thank you kindly sir. Everything is fine. We'll relax, share ideas and collaborate together. That's why we are here. We're professionals and here for a purpose - to seek answers and provide answers. And I'll be the 1st to admit - even as a support provider for a long time, I still need support too. Thank you for your apology...let's all move on and keep the support going....Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Jamie is an unknown quantity at this point

Turn off Microsoft update and use windows update only. Seen that fix the issue on several machines
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Turn off Microsoft update and use windows update only. Seen that fix the issue on several machines
Isn't MS Update the successor for Windows Update - whereas Windows update only did the OS and MS update did non-OS updates, but now they are combined? But I know on a clean install of Windows, the first update you do is just Windows Update and later you can include MS update (when you have other MS products installed) and it'll install something (something I've never found to make it switch over). So....how do you turn off MS update and use windows update only? I'll have to try that tomorrow when the user lets me back on her computer....