Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 AM

MichaelsComputerServices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need suggestions for business names

I am working on become legal after years of fixing computers as a hobby. I have been thinking on the name "Michael's Computer Services" just because it covers anything computer related and it makes it personal to the customer with my name being in there, it just doesn't have a ring to it. Any suggestions or comments would help a ton!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsComputerServices View Post
I am working on become legal after years of fixing computers as a hobby. I have been thinking on the name "Michael's Computer Services" just because it covers anything computer related and it makes it personal to the customer with my name being in there, it just doesn't have a ring to it. Any suggestions or comments would help a ton!
One thing to keep in mind is the difference between your legal name and your operating name.

Your legal name might be something like "Michael's Computer Services LLC", but you may have a name on your business card that says something like "Mike's Virus Buster"

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Right. I have had that in mind. I was thinking legally M.E.C. (Michael's Electronic Services) and then doing business as "Michael's Computer Services" or such.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Right. I have had that in mind. I was thinking legally M.E.C. (Michael's Electronic Services) and then doing business as "Michael's Computer Services" or such.
Whatever you decide .. it has to work with you.

I went with Carruthers Computers because it's as simple as I am, but that works for me because it does.

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/shop

Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

My suggestion is to not your user first name if you are planning on sticking around for awhile and becoming bigger than a small shop or mobile tech. Making business names like that typically make businesses stay or appear small. Depending on what you are trying to do, bigger businesses that need good IT support will probably look at your business name and think of you as inexperienced and lacking man power. There are exceptions to this rule, but they are just that, exceptions.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 AM

This is a good point. Definitely something to consider, especially if I ever want to expand
Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
This is a good point. Definitely something to consider, especially if I ever want to expand
It is a good point he had.

I'm planning on having one shop, maybe a second in another town my brother lives in (he's in school now, so that gives me alot of time.)

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/shop

Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Yeah, something else I meant to mention. Make sure you like the name you pick out, because it wont be easy to change it later if you make a good name for your self now then have to change it to a more suitable name in the future. It will either cost you a lot of time, money or it may cost you a hit in business. Either way, I wouldn't take the chance. Think long and hard about your name and make sure that it will work with what ever your plans are now and in the future.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 AM

colonydata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
My suggestion is to not your user first name if you are planning on sticking around for awhile and becoming bigger than a small shop or mobile tech. Making business names like that typically make businesses stay or appear small. Depending on what you are trying to do, bigger businesses that need good IT support will probably look at your business name and think of you as inexperienced and lacking man power. There are exceptions to this rule, but they are just that, exceptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Yeah, something else I meant to mention. Make sure you like the name you pick out, because it wont be easy to change it later if you make a good name for your self now then have to change it to a more suitable name in the future. It will either cost you a lot of time, money or it may cost you a hit in business. Either way, I wouldn't take the chance. Think long and hard about your name and make sure that it will work with what ever your plans are now and in the future.
i have to agree with this.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 AM

StableSolutions is an unknown quantity at this point

As has been said in most other "name help" threads...

Stay away from numbers (i.e. one two three vs 1 2 3)
Stay away from funny spellings (i.e. carz vs. cars)
Make sure its easy to SAY... Especially on the phone or while introducing yourself. (No tongue twister names)
Make sure you don't have funny initials (Allen's Service Solutions ... ASS? No thanks)

and most importantly... make sure it's available for a website and business name itself as well.