Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Burt_100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Usb hub ???

Hi,
I am thinking off buying a usb hub for my workbenck for ease of use when bringing a pc into the bench, On the hub would be a keyboard, mouse, external (Backup) hard drive, USB memory pen, possibly a memory card reader connected and from time to time a hard disk caddy. I am thinking of this for ease of set-up but i am unsure of what sort of hub to buy, I would imagine that I would need one with an external power source - Can anyone advise what they would recommend or if this is even a good idea.
Thanks
Johnny
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Highly recommend getting a powered USB hub, for compatibility and least issues. As for brands....meh, simple enough devices where dozens and dozens of brands are fine. For small items like that, I'd had good luck with IOGear brand.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

If you've got a few bucks, consider getting a full KVM switch. I've got my workbench set with a 4-port KVM. On each PC, it's got a "tentacle" with a video, a USB, and audio. I have a separate power bar with 4 power cords, one velcroed to each tentacle. I'm not usually so busy that I have 4 PCs on the bench at a time (I wish!) but there has been a couple of days where I've had them all in use.

Otherwise, just like YOS says.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:42 AM

Burt_100 is an unknown quantity at this point

After a bit of investigation i think a kvm switch would be ideal for me, has anyone got any recommendations? I need a 4 port switch with enough capacity for my keyboard & mouse, ethernet connection, usb external hard drive, memory pen and possibly external dvd drive to be connected, any help would be most apprecated.
Thanks
Johnny
Old 05-12-2012, 02:19 PM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt_100 View Post
After a bit of investigation i think a kvm switch would be ideal for me, has anyone got any recommendations? I need a 4 port switch with enough capacity for my keyboard & mouse, ethernet connection, usb external hard drive, memory pen and possibly external dvd drive to be connected, any help would be most apprecated.
Thanks
Johnny
I was going to suggest KVM is more practical than a USB HUB for what your thinking. I like using IOGEAR for small setup like this. It's very dependable.

For DVD, memory card reader, backup and other stuff, I would use a shared workstation or server if you already owned one. Then connect it all together with a Netgear Gigabit switch or other similiar switch. Of course you want to make sure your shared computer supports Gigswitch.