Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 AM

Alfonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should be the first job for an it guy???

Hey guys, today i was asked what is the first job a person should look for in the it field, i think its a very interesting question, what do you guys think????????
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 AM

Cambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura aboutCambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Hey guys, today i was asked what is the first job a person should look for in the it field, i think its a very interesting question, what do you guys think????????
Yes it is interesting, what do you think?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 AM

ZenTree will become famous soon enough

That's a very interesting viewpoint Cambridge, but what do you think?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
I started off in a call center. Gave me 4 years experience while I was going through school and helped to land my first real job.

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

My input.....find a local computer shop that also does local break/fixit for home users, and also does work supporting SMBs. This gives you lots of "hands on" experience...learning from other experienced techs.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

What specific area of "IT" are we talking about?

If you are going for systems administrator for example, working in a repair shop won't get you any real experience a potential employer is look for; as break fix is a part of the SA job that they don't really care about so much either because they have a lower level tech for that, or if not they figure you'll learn that along the way because more importantly you need server/networking experience to get started. Another thing to consider is that usually positions like that which have a lower level tech to handle the workstation break/fix end of things tend to promote from within, so that may be where you want to try and start.

So although you want to try and stick to the area in which you want to end up, (or start any related position at a company that has a promotion path to where you want to be) ... my input would be get whatever job you can that is available and pays the most (that you are qualified for or at least that you can BS your way through the interview process.) *shrug* Bad economy, take what you can get...

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 PM

kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
(that you are qualified for or at least that you can BS your way through the interview process.)
LOL... "BS your way through" Good one, Nick!

The jobs nowadays want more bang for their buck. Some of the great paying jobs, I've noticed that they will give you a test during the interview now. I just applied for one and the test took me about an hour to do. It had about 75 multiple choice questions and the rest was essay. Was a waste too because I didn't get the job even thou I passed the test with flying colors.. Oh well. Only reason I applied was that they were paying more than I make all year plus benefits (which I don't have as a business right now). Plus I would be only working banker hours. My plan was to hire someone for my business so I didn't leave my existing customers in the dark when I'm working another job. And of course I would be able to do work after hours and weekends.

Last edited by kevinjhaag; 04-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:53 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjhaag View Post
LOL... "BS your way through" Good one, Nick!
Well it's true!! NEVER underestimate the power of BS - IF you are good at it.

I have a friend who dropped out of college, never earned a cert for anything, and never had any prior experience in any related field what-so-ever, who skipped the lowly tech position and BS'd his way into a managerial position over a team of phone techs at Gateway. His job before that? Grocery store bookkeeper (BS'd his way into that as well having no prior experience.) Naturally Gateway laid everyone off many years ago, so he pretty much had no experience there to utilize for the next job - but soon after he still managed to BS his way into a Systems Analyst position for a major health care organization; now he has worked his way up to a Sr. Business Analyst there and makes bank. He admits he got every position through sheer B.S. and he has the track record to prove it

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!

Last edited by FoolishTech; 04-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM

kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
Well it's true!! NEVER underestimate the power of BS - IF you are good at it.

I have a friend who dropped out of college, never earned a cert for anything, and never had any prior experience in any related field what-so-ever, who skipped the lowly tech position and BS'd his way into a managerial position over a team of phone techs at Gateway. His job before that? Grocery store bookkeeper (BS'd his way into that as well having no prior experience.) Naturally Gateway laid everyone off many years ago, so he pretty much had no experience there to utilize for the next job - but soon after he still managed to BS his way into a Systems Analyst position for a major health care organization; now he has worked his way up to a Sr. Business Analyst there and makes bank. He admits he got every position through sheer B.S. and he has the track record to prove it
He's just one of those very outgoing people that can talk the talk by the sounds of it. I'm to damn honest...so its to damn hard to BS thru something.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 PM

ArtemusComputerTechnology is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Good question I started out in IT consulting/contract work doing short term projects. Didn't like it too much but I gained experience in break/fix, IMAC, server administration, networking, and network printer installation. It totally depends what area you want to get into. Now I'm a Desktop Support Technician/System Administrator. Kind of two jobs in one but it has its perks. If you need any training material, I have a sh*tload..

www.artemuscomptech.com
CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, & CCENT
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube
AVG Authorized Reseller