Go Back   Technibble Forums > Other Discussions > General Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-25-2012, 04:14 PM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy
Default Anyone have media and/or streaming servers?

I recently set up my media server, basically its a basic windows install, with Winamp, and a web gui installed to control Winamp via a web browser. The web gui plugin can be found at http://www.browseamp.com
Name:  DSCF1687.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  85.6 KB
Name:  Screenshot at 2012-04-25 12:09:29.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  25.7 KB
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

Check out XBMC I actually use the XBMCbuntu version based on Ubuntu 11.10. But they have version for Windows and MAC as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaters Kustum Machines View Post
Check out XBMC I actually use the XBMCbuntu version based on Ubuntu 11.10. But they have version for Windows and MAC as well.
Ive used it before, but it doesnt have native MCE remote support, Media Portal(XBMC based) does however.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 PM

sapper is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I have XBMC running over Win 7 x64 and it supports MCE remote just fine. It's an old HP Media Center remote, but it still works.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

I use XBMC on a headless laptop that I scored free from a customer. Its got no screen but does have HDMI out and an HD-capable graphic chipset, so gets the job done fine.

To control it, I use "unified remote' on my Android phone - which operates XBMC through wifi.

The remote is freaking brilliant. Full keyboard and mouse mode plus navigation buttons. It will also run VLC and about 50 other media center apps. No IR signal so it doesnt care about direction. As long as its in network range, it controls the HTPC.

XBMC rocks.

In the lounge I have a 'proper' htpc with XBMC and iMON remote. I used to run MediaPortal on that but got sick of issues with it. These days it runs XBMC. The kids are happy, so Im happy (if you get what I mean)

The server end is a little HP Proliant that I picked up for about $200 with 2x2tb mirrored hard drives and an external 2tb for backup. It runs WHS and has been rock solid since I set it up.

It runs SickBeard, which automatically downloads TV shows, sorts them, and keeps an eye out for new episodes as they come available.

Both the Android phones (mine, wife's) automatically back up their photos and videos, &etc to the Server when in range of wifi. Love this coz nothing to 'forget' - which I would be good at

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 04-26-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM

pceinc is on a distinguished road

I'm a long time user of XBMC. Started with my original Xbox. However, I recently started using Plex. I like it a lot better for some things. It's a client server setup so you install the server version on your main PC with all the media and then run the Plex client on your mini PC's connected to the TV. Plex also runs on Roku boxes, AppleTV, and all new LG Smart TV's come with the Plex client. Plex can stream across the Internet too. I can watch media stored on my home PC at my office.