Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 PM

xxsilk109xx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toshiba Laptop Restarting and wont power off

Toshiba A305D
Customer brought it in because the keyboard did not work, come to find out some coffee was spilled on it but after observation, I noticed that it was contained in the tray and it did not seem to be "between" the bottom of the keyboard or the tray that it sits in. So I think that the coffee was contained in the keyboard.

I replaced the keyboard, booted it up, customer had not used it in a year or so and wanted it wiped and reset. So I nuke and paved this thing and it works fine.

Only problem is that when I hold the power button down, it shuts off then restarts. Same if I go to windows and tell it to shut down. I have disabled everything in the BIOS as far as auto wake up functions. This happens with the battery in and plugged into the charger and with the battery out running on charger power only, and when the battery is only in it.

I have also tried different ram, power supply, and reset the BIOS to factory defaults.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by xxsilk109xx; 04-24-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Only one question at this point, when did this start happening? During your full diagnostics before the repairs or after the diagnostics during the repairs?

What tests have your run?

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 AM

Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road

I think it is a bios/ACPI issue as I have an HP desktop in our shop that does this. I just have not been bothered to fix it. (read one of our training/Demo PCs)

Last edited by Rob_NNCC; 04-25-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Deleted Repeat word
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 AM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

You are very sure liquid never touched the Mobo or other pcb's like the on-switch ziff connection or anything else? How about the power switch? That being said, what OS is on the HD? All power and sleep settings in the OS checked?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM

I took the lid off of the laptop after i noticed a slight coffee spill and didnt see anything at all that looked dirty. The laptop was in good shape and ran fine, except she didnt have a power cord. She brought it to me with the battery in it, but it was dead of course because it had been sitting. So I charged it and fired it up, saw that the keyboard was sticky and keys were not working, so I ordered a keyboard for it, unplugged it and I dont remember if it just died or if I went to shut it down.

But I replaced the keyboard and reinstalled VISTA fresh onto it and I guess never noticed that it was restarting.

The coffee spill was very slight, not a lot, but I will check the connectors and take the lid off to see if somehow some got through the cracks.

Yes I have checked all power settings, thing is it does it even with a bootdisk so I know its not OS related.

Ill check again for spills on any connections or switches.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsilk109xx View Post
I took the lid off of the laptop after i noticed a slight coffee spill and didnt see anything at all that looked dirty. The laptop was in good shape and ran fine, except she didnt have a power cord. She brought it to me with the battery in it, but it was dead of course because it had been sitting. So I charged it and fired it up, saw that the keyboard was sticky and keys were not working, so I ordered a keyboard for it, unplugged it and I dont remember if it just died or if I went to shut it down.

But I replaced the keyboard and reinstalled VISTA fresh onto it and I guess never noticed that it was restarting.

The coffee spill was very slight, not a lot, but I will check the connectors and take the lid off to see if somehow some got through the cracks.

Yes I have checked all power settings, thing is it does it even with a bootdisk so I know its not OS related.

Ill check again for spills on any connections or switches.
So, you did not run a diagnostics or check for other issues before you ordered the parts?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-25-2012, 03:43 PM

I took the lid off and looked for other liquid and did not see any, as I said, it was a minor spill. the computer powered on and booted to windows, i did pull the hard drive to backup what data I could and the hard drive checked out. So that was about the extent of it, yeah. I did not notice it power cycling since it seemed to shut off after I checked it out and I did not need it to stay shut off until I was prepping it to give to customer.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I took the lid off and looked for other liquid and did not see any, as I said, it was a minor spill. the computer powered on and booted to windows, i did pull the hard drive to backup what data I could and the hard drive checked out. So that was about the extent of it, yeah. I did not notice it power cycling since it seemed to shut off after I checked it out and I did not need it to stay shut off until I was prepping it to give to customer.

This is why it is SOOOO important to run a full diagnostics on each computer before you do the repairs.

Memory, HDD, Motherboard, CPU, GPU. Regardless of physical inspection, you should always always always test the MOBO when it comes to liquid spills. Even if you had not, somewhere along the lines of testing everything, you would have noticed the power issue. You said you checked the hard drive, but with what? Did you do a surface scan? check it with chrystaldiskinfo? did you do a short test? an extended test? What exactly did you do to "check" the hard drive? Please please please tell me you did not do a chkdsk as your HDD diagnostics . . .

Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
This is why it is SOOOO important to run a full diagnostics on each computer before you do the repairs.

Memory, HDD, Motherboard, CPU, GPU. Regardless of physical inspection, you should always always always test the MOBO when it comes to liquid spills. Even if you had not, somewhere along the lines of testing everything, you would have noticed the power issue. You said you checked the hard drive, but with what? Did you do a surface scan? check it with chrystaldiskinfo? did you do a short test? an extended test? What exactly did you do to "check" the hard drive? Please please please tell me you did not do a chkdsk as your HDD diagnostics . . .
No I ran Seagate Seatools on the short/quick and extended test and I checked it with hard disk sentinel. I just checked the motherboard and saw a few drops where some coffee has made it through, so I removed the motherboard and have checked it very well and cleaned any suspicious spots, put it back together and its still doing the same thing.

I am going to check the BIOS...
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
No I ran Seagate Seatools on the short/quick and extended test and I checked it with hard disk sentinel. I just checked the motherboard and saw a few drops where some coffee has made it through, so I removed the motherboard and have checked it very well and cleaned any suspicious spots, put it back together and its still doing the same thing.

I am going to check the BIOS...
Have you tried flashing / updating the bios?