Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice
Default A1181 MacBook does not recognize HDD as correct size. Will not Install OS. IO Error

Ok, so this is a first for me. Everything checks out, nothing other than the old HDD pops on the diagnostics. In fact, the HDD does nothing but click.

Anyways, we are replacing the hard drive with a WD and when we go to install the OS, it says that the drive is a 3.6tb hard drive (its a 500gb) and when I try to format it, it gives me an IO error. Thats it, no OS install. I tried this again with another known good working hard drive of a different size and model and still the same issue. Any ideas?

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM

PaulRome is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried running the disk utility and reformat?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Yes . . . . I guess I should have mentioned that I used disk utility during this whole process.

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM

KompuKare is on a distinguished road

Haven't done many Macs, but maybe MacOS Disk Utility is having a fit, so have you tried writing a partition table in Linux first?

Intel MacOS uses GUID partitions nowaways (68K and PPC used Apple's own I think).
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KompuKare View Post
Haven't done many Macs, but maybe MacOS Disk Utility is having a fit, so have you tried writing a partition table in Linux first?

Intel MacOS uses GUID partitions nowaways (68K and PPC used Apple's own I think).
Yep, I tried that after I had the problem initially, then tried the install again and still the same problem and Disk Utility still sees the hard drive as a 3.6tb hard drive and still refuses to format the hard drive.

I work on Macs all that time and typically have no issues, but this has baffled me.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Are you using the discs that came with the system, or stand-alone OS X discs?

If the stand-alone discs, try a different version. If the original discs, try a newer version. Snow Leopard, if you're not already trying.

The other option is to remove the drive, install OS X with a firewire or usb adapter on the drive. Install OS X updates... then install the drive back into the system internally.

Last edited by 14049752; 04-19-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14049752 View Post
Are you using the discs that came with the system, or stand-alone OS X discs?

If the stand-alone discs, try a different version. If the original discs, try a newer version. Snow Leopard, if you're not already trying.

The other option is to remove the drive, install OS X with a firewire or usb adapter on the drive. Install OS X updates... then install the drive back into the system internally.

Ok, an update. What you posted gave me a few ideas. I do not have any firewire here, never had a use for it. But I did try and hook up the hard drive via USB and was able to format it using the same disk. I think installed the hard drive once more and then got and error saying that OSX could not be installed on this hard drive because if failed a volumecheck.

Now, I did test this hard drive, so I know its not a hardware issues.

Anyways, I popped in another disk that was for a different Macbook and while I could not use it to install the OS, I was able to once again get into Disk Utility and format the drive again. I Installed the hard drive and again got the same error.

I was going to post to the log, but it didn't even save it to my flash drive like it was supposed to.

Do you thing that it could be bad disks?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 PM

compnet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Do you thing that it could be bad disks?
I haven't seen this problem on a mac, but I'm leaning more towards a bad controller than the drives.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnet View Post
I haven't seen this problem on a mac, but I'm leaning more towards a bad controller than the drives.
This was my first thought, but I am just really hoping that is not the issue.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

http://mr.tilyard.info/?p=36

Read all the comments... Had to find my source for when I ran into this, or else I would have posted it earlier.

You need to try a newer disk. Snow Leopard. Or use a smaller drive.