Go Back   Technibble Forums > Service Solutions > Servers

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 AM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Setting up a server to run multiple OS's at remote site - Hyper-V issues

I have a Dell Poweredge 1950 that is a little old. When I installed ESXi v5.0 I got an error message "Processors don't support virtualization". I'm new to any stand a lone hyper-v's as all I've used is Virtualbox and VMware for desktops.

What I want to do with this machine is have the following OS's up and running all the time to practice remote admin: XP Pro, Vista, Win 7, Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu Server, Asterisk and maybe some others like CentOS and such. The machine has 2 dual core 3Ghz CPU's and 16GB of ram so I think I should be ok running numerous OS's simultaneously - but only really using one at a time CPU wise. This machine will be hosted off-site at a location with a decent DSL connection.

I'm new to setting up machines like this so any suggestions for the best way to do this are welcome. I have a TechNet account so I can use just about any MS software if I need to use Hyper-V or Server 2008 as a base install and then run a virtualization app in side server to run the VM's.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best route to go?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 AM

OfficeTechs is on a distinguished road

check the bios of the server, there should be an option to enable hardware virtualisation or similar, that should get rid of that error for you.

You effectively have 4 cores to work with so good practice means thats 1 core per OS effectively, dedicate RAM specifically to each OS, my experience is that the VM software isnt always great at allocating RAM from the pool by itelf so I have always given each OS a dedicated amount of RAM.

Last edited by OfficeTechs; 04-15-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

Check the processors on that rig..might not be able to install the latest 64 bit 5.0
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1003944