Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 PM

ell will become famous soon enough
Question Vista install running sloow on quad core

Hi, is there some driver I should loading before a clean install to a amd quad core system?(phoenom 9150e) I'm installing vista home pre x64 to a new hard drive, the process took 2 hrs to install, and moves at a snails pace, no crashes just painfully slow, this thing has 5 gb ram and I already ran full diagnotics beforehand. Device manager looks fine, no ! I ran short smart test from the bios, clean weird, Something I missed?

Last edited by ell; 04-14-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell View Post
Hi, is there some driver I should loading before a clean install to a amd quad core system?(phoenom 9150e) I'm installing vista home pre x64 to a new hard drive, the process took 2 hrs to install, and moves at a snails pace, no crashes just painfully slow, this thing has 5 gb ram and I already ran full diagnotics beforehand. Device manager looks fine, no ! I ran short smart test from the bios, clean weird, Something I missed?
Did you test the new hard drive to make sure it was not failing? It sounds like a Read Error on the hard drive. Make sure you do an extended SMART test.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Did you test the new hard drive to make sure it was not failing? It sounds like a Read Error on the hard drive. Make sure you do an extended SMART test.
yeah, I suppose I should do that, I just have a feeling its something in the bios settings. He has a upgraded pci video card, but thats enabled in the bios, there is no ahci setting, just pata (i disabled that) SATA and SAT 1+2 (hard drive is set for 1+2) . Its a 650 gb and I would lke to get it done today, hoping the run a full disk scan as last resort. The boot order in the bios is:
1. floppy (disabled)
2 blank
3. blank
4. dvd
5. new hard drive

Last edited by ell; 04-14-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell View Post
yeah, I suppose I should do that, I just have a feeling its something in the bios settings. He has a upgraded pci video card, but thats enabled in the bios, there is no ahci setting, just pata (i disabled that) SATA and SAT 1+2 (hard drive is set for 1+2) and the floppy is set as first boot device, but it is disabled. Its a 650 gb and I would lke to get it done today, hoping the run a full disk scan as last resort.
You can always reset the bios to default settings or if that does not work, you can reflash / update the bios. As for the HDD test, I know you would like to have it done today, but you got to put your customer first. Just run the test, It will probably take about 2 to 3 hours for that size of a HDD. Otherwise, if you have another good known working HDD, you can try that while your testing the HDD and see if that makes a difference. Also, have you tried a live CD to see how it runs under linux?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
You can always reset the bios to default settings or if that does not work, you can reflash / update the bios. As for the HDD test, I know you would like to have it done today, but you got to put your customer first. Just run the test, It will probably take about 2 to 3 hours for that size of a HDD. Otherwise, if you have another good known working HDD, you can try that while your testing the HDD and see if that makes a difference. Also, have you tried a live CD to see how it runs under linux?

I'm not going to sell her a bad hd, just want to rule out the quick fixes first, it does appear to be a bad drive, but I would expect a crash not just slowness, I'm going to give bios defaults a shot. It runs fine in a live cd.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

I've experienced similar situations, and it's been the hard drive.

Crashes do not always equate to drive failures. Slowness, when everything else is ok to me means time to break out the testing tools.

Better being safe and knowing the drives a ok or not. Rather than sending out the machine knowing that you've not quite done all the tests you could and the drive fails in a few weeks. How would that look to your client?

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadishead Computers View Post
I've experienced similar situations, and it's been the hard drive.

Crashes do not always equate to drive failures. Slowness, when everything else is ok to me means time to break out the testing tools.

Better being safe and knowing the drives a ok or not. Rather than sending out the machine knowing that you've not quite done all the tests you could and the drive fails in a few weeks. How would that look to your client?
Yeah, pretty sure its the drive now too, I had a similar indecent trying to install win 7 , I had to change bios from ahci to ata and that fixed it, I was hoping for a similar outcome, my customer is not going to be exciting about waiting around for another drive to arrive. I will post back if it clears the scans.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Reset BIOS. Ditch hard disk. Reinstall windows on known good HDD.

Next.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM

ok, so I've run overnight FULL system diagnostics, all is clean, now I've just found this link and I'm pretty sure this is my issue, what a pain http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/ext...running-system and ofcourse I can't find a hp oem vista home premium 64 bit iso. I have put the old drive back in and am trying to make a recovery disk set, its already failed once. Whats a good clone program for bad disks? I already tried acronis, fail.

Last edited by ell; 04-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Here is one other thought, I have a KVM switch with makes some computer (very very very few) run extremely slow, almost unusable. If you are using a KVM, try doing it without.