Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM

anglian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iphone repairs

I thought I would start promoting Iphone repairs on my site.
I have no experience repairing them, although I have owned one for a while, and am pretty handy at this kind of thing.
So I get my first call for a battery replacement today.

Decided I should practise a bit, even though it looks pretty simple after watching a couple of videos, and as I already have an Iphone I made the decision to pull the wifes Iphone apart.
20 Minutes later I had it fully dissambled on my workbench.
Wish I had a camera handy to capture the expression on her face when she saw it!

I was very surprised how easy it was to fully disassemble and put back together. Would recommend anyone to give it a try (maybe buy a broken one on Ebay first if a bit unsure)
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglian View Post
I thought I would start promoting Iphone repairs on my site.
I have no experience repairing them, although I have owned one for a while, and am pretty handy at this kind of thing.
So I get my first call for a battery replacement today.

Decided I should practise a bit, even though it looks pretty simple after watching a couple of videos, and as I already have an Iphone I made the decision to pull the wifes Iphone apart.
20 Minutes later I had it fully dissambled on my workbench.
Wish I had a camera handy to capture the expression on her face when she saw it!

I was very surprised how easy it was to fully disassemble and put back together. Would recommend anyone to give it a try (maybe buy a broken one on Ebay first if a bit unsure)
I've done a few and thought about offering the service as well. There are a lot of youngsters dropping their phones after a few drinks.

Last edited by Martyn; 04-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road

I find the phones the easiest to repair. The iPads and the iPods can be more difficult.

Good for you expanding and growing your business. I am not sure how thrilled my wife would be if I took her iPhone apart with out her knowing though... You must have an understanding spouse.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

My wife just got her iPhone a few days ago. If I dared to so much as add an app to it at this point, I'm pretty sure she would consider that grounds for divorce.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

http://www.etechparts.com/Wholesale-...arts-s/371.htm

It can be quite lucrative.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM

AlaDes is on the way

As far as screen replacements, all of them are fairly easy to do except the latest iPod, which is a PITA, to say the least. Another one I don't care for is replacing batteries in the iPhone 3G/GS because of the soldering required.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaDes View Post
As far as screen replacements, all of them are fairly easy to do except the latest iPod, which is a PITA, to say the least. Another one I don't care for is replacing batteries in the iPhone 3G/GS because of the soldering required.
Fortunately I have been soldering circuit boards for years so am pretty good at it, and I just bought a new reflow & solder station which is beautiful. I want to take things apart just to resolder them for fun!!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglian View Post
Fortunately I have been soldering circuit boards for years so am pretty good at it, and I just bought a new reflow & solder station which is beautiful. I want to take things apart just to resolder them for fun!!
Nice. I do electronics as a hobby, and with everything going to SMD and BGA, I have had to 'dead bug' some BGAs, not fun but it is amusing to look at afterwards. I have been wanting to get a hot air rework station and finish my CNC for a while now.

Back on topic, yes, I just replaced the headphone jack in a 3rd gen iPod, that was not too bad, I just had to set the iron temp at a level where it would not melt the Mylar cable.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NNCC View Post
Nice. I do electronics as a hobby, and with everything going to SMD and BGA, I have had to 'dead bug' some BGAs, not fun but it is amusing to look at afterwards. I have been wanting to get a hot air rework station and finish my CNC for a while now.

Back on topic, yes, I just replaced the headphone jack in a 3rd gen iPod, that was not too bad, I just had to set the iron temp at a level where it would not melt the Mylar cable.
Before I got into the hosting biz in the 90's I was working as an electrical engineer for Okuma in Germany, mostly the bigger machining centres like

Quite often we had to make or modify PCB's, Axis boards and I/O boards to attach robots, pallet changers & tool changers. Quite unerving when soldering onto a board worth 20,000 which is part of a 1.5 million machine.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 AM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Quite often we had to make or modify PCB's, Axis boards and I/O boards to attach robots, pallet changers & tool changers. Quite unerving when soldering onto a board worth 20,000 which is part of a 1.5 million machine.
JEEZ!! How big was the soldering iron for that thing??