Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

  Technibble Sponsor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
anglian's Avatar
anglian anglian is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Felixstowe UK
Posts: 499
anglian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iphone repairs

I thought I would start promoting Iphone repairs on my site.
I have no experience repairing them, although I have owned one for a while, and am pretty handy at this kind of thing.
So I get my first call for a battery replacement today.

Decided I should practise a bit, even though it looks pretty simple after watching a couple of videos, and as I already have an Iphone I made the decision to pull the wifes Iphone apart.
20 Minutes later I had it fully dissambled on my workbench.
Wish I had a camera handy to capture the expression on her face when she saw it!

I was very surprised how easy it was to fully disassemble and put back together. Would recommend anyone to give it a try (maybe buy a broken one on Ebay first if a bit unsure)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Martyn's Avatar
Martyn Martyn is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 5,587
Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglian View Post
I thought I would start promoting Iphone repairs on my site.
I have no experience repairing them, although I have owned one for a while, and am pretty handy at this kind of thing.
So I get my first call for a battery replacement today.

Decided I should practise a bit, even though it looks pretty simple after watching a couple of videos, and as I already have an Iphone I made the decision to pull the wifes Iphone apart.
20 Minutes later I had it fully dissambled on my workbench.
Wish I had a camera handy to capture the expression on her face when she saw it!

I was very surprised how easy it was to fully disassemble and put back together. Would recommend anyone to give it a try (maybe buy a broken one on Ebay first if a bit unsure)
I've done a few and thought about offering the service as well. There are a lot of youngsters dropping their phones after a few drinks.

Last edited by Martyn; 04-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Rob_NNCC's Avatar
Rob_NNCC Rob_NNCC is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Neck of Virginia
Posts: 662
Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road
Default

I find the phones the easiest to repair. The iPads and the iPods can be more difficult.

Good for you expanding and growing your business. I am not sure how thrilled my wife would be if I took her iPhone apart with out her knowing though... You must have an understanding spouse.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
'putertutor's Avatar
'putertutor 'putertutor is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 955
'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about
Default

My wife just got her iPhone a few days ago. If I dared to so much as add an app to it at this point, I'm pretty sure she would consider that grounds for divorce.
__________________
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
angry_geek's Avatar
angry_geek angry_geek is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: herrin, il
Posts: 2,798
angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek
Default

http://www.etechparts.com/Wholesale-...arts-s/371.htm

It can be quite lucrative.
__________________
Loring Preston
The Computer Doctor
Email Me

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM
AlaDes's Avatar
AlaDes AlaDes is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: White Sulphur Springs, WV
Posts: 434
AlaDes is on the way
Default

As far as screen replacements, all of them are fairly easy to do except the latest iPod, which is a PITA, to say the least. Another one I don't care for is replacing batteries in the iPhone 3G/GS because of the soldering required.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
anglian's Avatar
anglian anglian is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Felixstowe UK
Posts: 499
anglian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaDes View Post
As far as screen replacements, all of them are fairly easy to do except the latest iPod, which is a PITA, to say the least. Another one I don't care for is replacing batteries in the iPhone 3G/GS because of the soldering required.
Fortunately I have been soldering circuit boards for years so am pretty good at it, and I just bought a new reflow & solder station which is beautiful. I want to take things apart just to resolder them for fun!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Rob_NNCC's Avatar
Rob_NNCC Rob_NNCC is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Neck of Virginia
Posts: 662
Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglian View Post
Fortunately I have been soldering circuit boards for years so am pretty good at it, and I just bought a new reflow & solder station which is beautiful. I want to take things apart just to resolder them for fun!!
Nice. I do electronics as a hobby, and with everything going to SMD and BGA, I have had to 'dead bug' some BGAs, not fun but it is amusing to look at afterwards. I have been wanting to get a hot air rework station and finish my CNC for a while now.

Back on topic, yes, I just replaced the headphone jack in a 3rd gen iPod, that was not too bad, I just had to set the iron temp at a level where it would not melt the Mylar cable.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
anglian's Avatar
anglian anglian is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Felixstowe UK
Posts: 499
anglian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NNCC View Post
Nice. I do electronics as a hobby, and with everything going to SMD and BGA, I have had to 'dead bug' some BGAs, not fun but it is amusing to look at afterwards. I have been wanting to get a hot air rework station and finish my CNC for a while now.

Back on topic, yes, I just replaced the headphone jack in a 3rd gen iPod, that was not too bad, I just had to set the iron temp at a level where it would not melt the Mylar cable.
Before I got into the hosting biz in the 90's I was working as an electrical engineer for Okuma in Germany, mostly the bigger machining centres like

Quite often we had to make or modify PCB's, Axis boards and I/O boards to attach robots, pallet changers & tool changers. Quite unerving when soldering onto a board worth 20,000 which is part of a 1.5 million machine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 AM
'putertutor's Avatar
'putertutor 'putertutor is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 955
'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:


Quite often we had to make or modify PCB's, Axis boards and I/O boards to attach robots, pallet changers & tool changers. Quite unerving when soldering onto a board worth 20,000 which is part of a 1.5 million machine.
JEEZ!! How big was the soldering iron for that thing??
__________________
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Technibble.com is based out of MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA.