Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 PM

nesrinamb is on the way
Default First MSP Client and I need some help

I have done support for a small business for a while now and they now want a MSP to run monthly maintenance (updates, AV, optimization, checking backups, etc) and fix issues that arise.

Here is the clients current setup.

15 desktops
1 File sharing server

Things to consider:

7 desktops are used to run their business machines and are not on the network or have access to internet (this will likely change and eventually all except maybe 3 wont be on the network). Their is also a very large growth of the company planned for this year. 10-12 new employees and a larger building and 1 desktop for every new employee. If the owners plans come to fruition the current company could reach something like 25 desktops on the network and 7-10 off the network running their machines. The server will go from what is a old PC used for file sharing with Linux to a windows small business server or a regular windows server depending on their needs.

My question is how do you guys here price your MSP contracts. As well as how will you handle the extra new employees that will be added on and new computers.

The research I have done show tons of pricing structures. (Tier pricing, Per user pricing (all you can eat), Per device pricing, Block hours)

Personally I'm moving towards block hour pricing, something like 10 hours and get 10 or 15% off and charge regular hourly rate for after hours work.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

I have found it all depends on the client. I have a couple that just want monitoring and then get a problem fixed when it is noticed others want an all you can eat plan so they can budget for their accounts.

When adding computers or servers I always do this out with their plan unless it is block hours and in that case I get them to top it up.

While I would like my customers on a set monthly fee I like to stay flexible to meet their needs.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

Depends on the client....through you gaining experience you'll learn to figure out how needy this client will be, how much they'll be demanding of your time. Factor in stuff like *age/specs of workstations, *type of LOB apps they need and what kind of maintenance/frequency those LOB apps will need your time, *after hours/weekend support?, etc etc

Also how many workstations, (charge per workstation, per server, per edge device/firewall), how many servers, what kinds of servers...simple AD/file/print share, or Exchange/SQL/other fancier stuff like terminal server? single site or multi-site/WAN, lots of home workers?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 AM

nesrinamb is on the way

I did concider remot monitering and chekign backups that way but the clints wants me to be onsite for that. I will see if I can convince him its the same onsite and off site.

I hand not yet thogut about their LOB apps but wll make a list and try to factor evrything in so that I can give them a good price. One that makes me profit and is good for them as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Computer Medix, Inc. is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd do everyone involved a favor and work on your spelling before you start picking up MSP clients.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Brokenframe is an unknown quantity at this point

Man that was mean. Its pretty obvious that second post was from a mobile device.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM

MrAlex2You is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 3 different tiers of service available and charge per device. Of course, the price per device increases depending on the tier the business chooses.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenframe View Post
Man that was mean. Its pretty obvious that second post was from a mobile device.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express
Regardless - Should check spelling. I make minor ones when on iphone but that was plain lazy to just send such a blatent misspelt post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 PM

MotzTech will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesrinamb View Post
I did concider remot monitering and chekign backups that way but the clints wants me to be onsite for that. I will see if I can convince him its the same onsite and off site.

One of the important factors in offering MSP services is having them trust your decisions. You need to project confidence in what you do. I do all my monitoring/maintenance/backup checking/etc remotely for my clients. The only exception to that is I go onsite once in a while to blow out the dust in the machines or to fix issues that can't be fixed remotely. I have had people say "Why don't you just come onsite?" and the answer I always give is efficiency. The reason I can offer such great service at a good price is that all my services are streamlined. If someone just won't take no for answer I will go onsite, but I will bill hourly for it.

I can't imagine going onsite everyday to check the backups, the gas costs alone would eat my entire profit margin.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 AM

colonydata is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesrinamb View Post

I hand not yet thogut about their LOB apps but wll make a list and try to factor evrything in so that I can give them a good price. One that makes me profit and is good for them as well.
well if they want you onsite for something that can be done just as well remotely, then make sure they pay a premium for that.

Tags
msp pricing