Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM

UKTechSquad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help on how to source Techs to work for me

Hi

I've been running my PC Repair business in the UK for about 10 years now. I'm essentially a one man band. I employ another company to take my phone calls and manage my diary, which works really well for me, but I'm the only guy to go out and service the calls.

I have had a couple of guys work for me in the past. My brother in law helped me out for about a year before taking up a high paid server admin role with a big company - I couldn't compete to keep him He suggested a friend of his to take his place, but he didn't work out too good and only lasted a couple of months. Technically OK, but totally unreliable.

I used to pay them a set hourly rate, and insist they were self employed and took care of their own tax affairs. The burden of taking on an actual employee and all that entails is a step too far for me.

My question to you guys is really, "where can i source another tech to help me"?

I'm on holiday next week over Easter so not taking any more bookings until 17th April. I've had 16 enquiries in the last couple of days, all who wanted to book me to come out and look at their PC/laptop. But I've lost 16 customers because none will wait til 17th April for an appointment. Perfectly reasonable.
If I had another guy working for me, I could have serviced them.

It's also an issue whenever I am on holiday, because I'm not getting paid and have no income stream when I'm not out at the coalface.

I really need to get this sorted, any help offered by other UK techs who've been through this and can offer me advice on how to grow the business with more techs would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Alphatech is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as employees go I can't really advise on that as I my self am not close to being able to afford one. I wanted to ask you a question in regards to what you said about employing another company to take your phone calls and manage your diary. How do you go about getting that done, that could really come in handy for me.
Kissimmee Computer Repair
Computer Tech
Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

I would imagine there are others shops in the UK area like yourself that you could easily make an arrangment with do provide services while you are away.

Go meet a few of them and see who seems like a good fit and utilize them. Or you can outsource to an online service and have them at least take the calls and do remote repairs for those that do not require an on-site visit.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTechSquad View Post
I'm on holiday next week over Easter so not taking any more bookings until 17th April. I've had 16 enquiries in the last couple of days, all who wanted to book me to come out and look at their PC/laptop. But I've lost 16 customers because none will wait til 17th April for an appointment. Perfectly reasonable.

It's also an issue whenever I am on holiday, because I'm not getting paid and have no income stream when I'm not out at the coalface.

I really need to get this sorted, any help offered by other UK techs who've been through this and can offer me advice on how to grow the business with more techs would be much appreciated!

Thanks
It may be a tad late in the day to arrange this, but what you could do, is to team up with a UK tech on TN. As long as the majority of the work can be repaired via remote access, its a win / win situation all round.

You don't lose your client, due to time constrictions, client wins, as someone can do the repair, and the tech wins, due to additional income.

I know you don't really know anyone on TN, but I have helped a couple of members here do just that in the past. I also have a tn member look after things for me, whilst I am away also.

What we have done in the past, is make up a non compete clause, arrange a suitable arrangement with whomever, i.e do they bill the client, then pay you a commission, or do you bill the client on your return and pay the tech for any work completed.

If there are any hardware related jobs which come in during this period, it is a simple enough matter of arranging a courier to collect the machine, do the work, and courier it back to the client.

I know it doesn't help out in the long term, but to get you over your holiday issues, it may be what your looking for

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM

abbasmuraj is an unknown quantity at this point

Being in the UK myself and running my business over the last few year, there has been a growth in the business and as a result I use other IT techs whom I have built up a good relationship and most importantly, trust.

So far only 1 had tried to go behind my back and soliciting my clients and a firm email stating that legal action would be taken if they do it again. They have stopped it.

With all the techs, I come to an agreement where a very fair portion of the fees will be shared with them and in some cases additional money if they have to travel x number of miles from their own address to client.

The client is billed by myself once the work is done and the techician sends me their invoice(s) either weekly or monthly for their agreed portion. Everyone is happy.

Other work outside my scope of experience, I call upon the services of people I know and we come to an arrangement that is suitable for all parties.

Finding someone who is capable AS WELL AS trustworthy can be difficult, but there are a lot of IT support guys who are decent.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM

PCSupportGlasgow will become famous soon enough

There no hard and fast rule for hiring techs. you can only hope your interview and trial period weeds out the ones who not reliable or untrustworthy (remember standards and quality can be raised with training).

Simply put until you get them to work for you its anyones guess how they will turn out, as you have already noticed ith your past experiences of techs.

"I used to pay them a set hourly rate, and insist they were self employed and took care of their own tax affairs. The burden of taking on an actual employee and all that entails is a step too far for me." - im very suprised any tech actually took this deal as it oprens them up to the dreaded IR35 tax liabilities.

As others have said you either take the chance of hiring an employee or sub contract the work out. But no matter what your probably losing money by not having working relationships with other companies who specialize in areas outwith your expertize.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Tekko will become famous soon enough

You could look at providing internships, I know at least in the US just about every school gives college credit for internships. When you get an intern you like, hire them! Otherwise you just get a semester of some help that only costs you about 8 bucks an hour. It helps to have someone who can take care of viruses/tune ups/click next for you!