Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 AM

MrAlex2You is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pirated Software/OS

Hi everyone - completely new here, but I have been reading for a couple of months and thoroughly enjoy all of the topics that are covered here.

The question I have is this: If a client brings you a machine that you ultimately decide to reinstall the OS, do you have multiple licenses that you may have purchased for reinstalls, purchase an OS disk and include it on the bill, or "other"...?

If I were to take a computer to someone who ultimately decided to do a reinstall and it cost $120 solely for the OS, I would probably just opt to get a new machine. I understand what the logical, ethical, and moral thing to do in situations like this is.

I would love input on this one.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Recovery CD / DVD, recovery partition, OEM disk . . . ?

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Recovery CD / DVD, recovery partition, OEM disk . . . ?
What if it's not available? Or can't be used? What's your next viable option?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlex2You View Post
What if it's not available? Or can't be used? What's your next viable option?
I guess I do not understand your question.

With COA, you can use an OEM disk, but we wont go there.

If the hard drive is good, you can use the recovery partition

If the hard drive is bad, you may even be able to clone it and in the very least get the recovery partition to restore the OS

If the hard drive is completely trashed and there is no COA then you can almost alway order the disk. I have not had one disk that I could not get.

Finally, if all else fails (which has not happened to me yet out of thousands of computers) then you could always suggest an upgrade to 7 or a reinstall if they already had 7.

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
I guess I do not understand your question.

With COA, you can use an OEM disk, but we wont go there.

If the hard drive is good, you can use the recovery partition

If the hard drive is bad, you may even be able to clone it and in the very least get the recovery partition to restore the OS

If the hard drive is completely trashed and there is no COA then you can almost alway order the disk. I have not had one disk that I could not get.

Finally, if all else fails (which has not happened to me yet out of thousands of computers) then you could always suggest an upgrade to 7 or a reinstall if they already had 7.
Let's say that you have a OEM disk w/ COA, but it didn't come with any computer. Would you use that on multiple computers?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Let's say that you have a OEM disk w/ COA, but it didn't come with any computer. Would you use that on multiple computers?
No!

No offense, but for someone who supposedly owns their own business, you sure are clueless as to how all this works. This is all MS Windows 101. Maybe you should consider working under someone for a while.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
No!

No offense, but for someone who supposedly owns their own business, you sure are clueless as to how all this works. This is all MS Windows 101. Maybe you should consider working under someone for a while.
Sorry, I didn't mean with a COA. I'm not quite sure how to describe what I'm referring to, but it's not exactly an OEM disk. But I can assure you that I don't appreciate you calling me ignorant.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean with a COA. I'm not quite sure how to describe what I'm referring to, but it's not exactly an OEM disk. But I can assure you that I don't appreciate you calling me ignorant.
I did not call you ignorant, however, ignorant means that you are inexperienced and lack knowledge and understanding in a certain area. It does not mean your stupid, but it does mean that you have things to learn.

In any case, Official OEM disks for system builders come with a COA sticker and product key, you are required to affix that sticker on the computer.

Refurb kits can come with 3 packs, but you have to submit the original product key, to get the new one.

OEM disks that come with manufacture PCs like Dell, HP, Acer, ect does not necessarily need a COA because the activation is hardware specific to the bios.

Then there is the expensive retail disks that also come with a COA and product key. Same deal as the OEM.

This is all pretty basic. I am still not sure as to what you are asking.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
I did not call you ignorant, however, ignorant means that you are inexperienced and lack knowledge and understanding in a certain area. It does not mean your stupid, but it does mean that you have things to learn.

In any case, Official OEM disks for system builders come with a COA sticker and product key, you are required to affix that sticker on the computer.

Refurb kits can come with 3 packs, but you have to submit the original product key, to get the new one.

OEM disks that come with manufacture PCs like Dell, HP, Acer, ect does not necessarily need a COA because the activation is hardware specific to the bios.

Then there is the expensive retail disks that also come with a COA and product key. Same deal as the OEM.

This is all pretty basic. I am still not sure as to what you are asking.
I understand all of this. I guess at this point, I'm not sure myself what I'm asking. Good posts.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 AM

compnet will become famous soon enough

So confusing...

I think he wants someone to tell him its ok to use a cracked version of windows..