Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Not sure what GFI uses for a scripting engine or if it takes standard batch or VBS...

But a standard batch file to install dSupport silently looks like this:
Code:
dSupportSetup.exe /verysilent
Maybe someone who uses GFI can elaborate if it's any different...

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Just a quick update on the situation.

Microsoft finally replied again, citing the same reasons why they will continue to flag dSupport (that I don't get consent from the user prior to download/execution of 3rd party apps) even though I added the consent prompts!!!

Further, they refuse to be specific when I replied requesting more information on exactly WHAT doesn't have consent. Their reply was: "Thank you for your email. Due to the volume of inquiries by vendors such as yourself, and a desire to treat all vendors equally and consistently, we are not in a position to offer consulting services on specific items." In other words, they won't even tell me what their 'problem' is...

Also, they have informed me that they will ignore any further vendor dispute submissions of dSupport for a period of 6 months. Nice.

As if that wasn't enough, now they have extended the detection to Windows Defender definitions which will effect every version of Vista/7 with Defender enabled regardless of your anti-virus solution!!!

In other words, they just took a big dump on me.

--- on a related note ---

I realize that in my attempts to appease Microsoft, the new user consent prompts have rubbed a few people the wrong way.

But because I cannot ignore the volume of email I get about dSupport's detection, I will consider re-enabling the user consent prompts and re-submitting dSupport to Microsoft in 6 month's time. Perhaps I can come up with a better method, a one-time consent at first run with EULA and all the trimmings, maybe that will appease them and lessen the burden overall on the end user. But at least for the next 6 months, my hands are tied.

So...

The latest version of dSupport v2.5.5 now has the consent prompts removed.

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion these consent prompts in v2.5.3 and 2.5.4 may have caused your customers.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

Last edited by FoolishTech; 04-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM

markcuk11 will become famous soon enough

Just to let you know nod32 flags up d7_malwarescan.exe and puts in quarantine.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 PM

D7 and related apps are expected to be flagged, and I don't personally care about technician's tools being flagged at all, because they are not end user apps, and technicians disable A/V software before working on a machine anyway...

...but if it is of concern to you then please feel free to submit the flagged EXE file(s) to the anti-virus vendor as a false positive.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

I've got used to disabling AV when updating as well since it flags it up and creates errors when I use it, don't see it as a problem but a prompt that my AV doing its job