Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM

Knightsman is on a distinguished road
Default Cloning the recovery partition. Do you do this to fix other computers?

I dont do very many residential repairs anymore, so I really cant test this.

But the other day, I gave it a try and copied the recovery partion on an HP (vista home premium) and a Emachine (vista basic). I then applied it to a new drive, and to my suprise it worked.

I'm wondering now if it would work on other machines as long as its the same make and same os.

Anyone do this?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM

PCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the rough

Yes and no. Sometimes you have to also clone the OS partition or at least part of it in order to get the recovery partition to boot properly and recover the OS.

I only do this in the case where I do not have recovery disks or COA.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Yes and no. Sometimes you have to also clone the OS partition or at least part of it in order to get the recovery partition to boot properly and recover the OS.

I only do this in the case where I do not have recovery disks or COA.
hmm, I wonder. todo backup creates a mimic of the drive, so it creates the C drive and the recovery partition but nothing is there. I wonder if that makes a difference when it wasnt working for you. Also, it gives me the option of making it active once it finishes.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 PM

PCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsman View Post
hmm, I wonder. todo backup creates a mimic of the drive, so it creates the C drive and the recovery partition but nothing is there. I wonder if that makes a difference when it wasnt working for you. Also, it gives me the option of making it active once it finishes.
Like I said, some times cloning just the recovery partition and making it active works, other times you have to clone the OS partition as well. It has something to do with where the MBR is located.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Like I said, some times cloning just the recovery partition and making it active works, other times you have to clone the OS partition as well. It has something to do with where the MBR is located.

Good to know, cant wait to play and test this out. Sure does make it easier (for me anyways). Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsman View Post
Good to know, cant wait to play and test this out. Sure does make it easier (for me anyways). Thanks for the heads up!
NP. I have done a lot of weird experimental stuff just to see what would happen, this was one of those things I tried in a pinch. Good luck.