Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 PM

a1whs.com is on a distinguished road
Default How many here use linux or used it before?

Hello,
Has anyone here used linux here and if so which one. Well i got mandrake , Centos on my system with win 98 win 2003 also .

So how many of you guys use linux now a days and how many have used shell and know how to use it?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

I have Mandrake dual booting on my Lappy with XP. I have linux as my home firewall. I use shell ALL the time but only web server related stuff (as I run dedicated servers). Just webby jobs such as mysqldumps, edits to httpd.conf, top, taring and gzipping when backing up, reboots and such when there are high loads and if needed tweaks to slowdown/stop ddos attacks.

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 02-22-2006, 04:47 AM

ipodman is on a distinguished road

Hi,

What quit a weird thing is that my nana who is 67 years old uses Linux on a daily bases. She’s like the top dog of Linux and know it by the back of hear hand.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:00 AM

Stealth will become famous soon enough

I don't have Linux installed on my machine yet, but I've been using Slackware on other people's machines, Sun Solaris OS at the university since it's the server backbone... and that's about it. I'm planning on reacquiring my old CelA333 and refurbishing it into a hardware firewall/gateway, but I'm not sure which distro will go on yet.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth
I'm planning on reacquiring my old CelA333 and refurbishing it into a hardware firewall/gateway, but I'm not sure which distro will go on yet.
Try Smoothwall. Its a very very nice, easy to setup linux distro dedicated to being a firewall. http://www.smoothwall.org/

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Rªdì¢âl_£Ð is on a distinguished road

I have been using Suse primarily ever since I started playing with Linux. My old desktop had Suse 10.0 before the motherboard broke and my new desktop has Suse 10.0 as well. My laptop used to have Suse 10.0 but due to issues with the graphics card, touchpad, and the fact that I only have a 60GB hard drive, I removed the partition and frugal installed Damn Small Linux 2.0. I have also been trying to use coLinux and Debian as well but networking problems have made installing software a problem.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:36 PM

bongo is on a distinguished road

linux is quite cool but the problem is that it is not user-friendly like windows..i think its more cater to programmers..lol..many parts u have to code..but have a fun time playing that..
Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 PM

ipodman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo
linux is quite cool but the problem is that it is not user-friendly like windows..i think its more cater to programmers..lol..many parts u have to code..but have a fun time playing that..
I understand what you mean when you say its not user friendly, For me i had to have some one show me how to use the software.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 PM

Stealth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles10
Try Smoothwall. Its a very very nice, easy to setup linux distro dedicated to being a firewall
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

bongo: Actually, linux is very user friendly, in both command-line and GNOME/KDE graphical interface varieties. It's just a matter of learning how to move through it, and paying attention to where each program or library sets its files.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 AM

Rus is on a distinguished road

I have win2k/slack10.2 dual boot, but I like slack more than win