Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 PM

glricht has a spectacular aura aboutglricht has a spectacular aura about

I've got the 64-bit version running on one of my test boxes. My initial reaction was "egad, this sucks!"

ZDNet's Ed Bott has a pretty good blog post about it, and using his blog, I've been able to make some headway using it.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/getti...soft+Report%29

Also, a blog post by CNET's Seth Rosenbloom:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7...s/?tag=nl.e404

One interesting thing is that antivirus/antispyware is built-in (Windows Defender)

Like it or not, we're all going to have to learn this ... and my guess is it's going to be a big learning curve.

Last edited by glricht; 03-02-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added cnet blog reference
Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

I'm shrinking the hdd on my main laptop so I can play around with it. I have a feeling that this will be the first non-release version of Windows that I don't use as a main OS.

I think that metro should be optional when no touch input is available. The OS should default to the Aero UI.

Also they should be using this as an opportunity to kill 16 bit legacy support which I'm guessing they still include within x86 and x64 versions.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 PM

Dean is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed win 8 on a Toshiba L300D-ab2 AMD with a 2gb of RAM
Things are really different but the same once you start fooling around. Links to social media is huge, I do like some of the home screen (apps etc)
The installer worked seamlessly. It is actually works like installing win 7 over vista. Automatic save of winold folder. I installed onto a fresh install of Vista. Come with a great pinball game again YEA! I will post more as I play more.
Dean
Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 AM

HawkinsPC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekguy View Post
I installed it on a spare pc & I'm not overly impressed so far. Why does it take 100 steps to turn off this thing?
I was incredibly flustered trying to use it... and you nailed it on the head with trying to turn it off! I couldn't get Win8 off my laptop fast enough.

The apps were horrendous. I think it has potential on tablets, but definitely not my laptop.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 AM

twincountycomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't figure out what MS is thinking with the direction their taking with windows 8, if I wanted a "smart phone" experience on a big screen monitor I would run an android emulator

mabye Windows versions are coming to be like start trek movies, every other movie bombs at the box office
PO Box 456
Woodlawn, Va 24381
30 Melrose Ln
Galax, Va
Old 03-03-2012, 02:34 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

In a parallell reality somewhere, where respect for consumer choice is a consideration:

Windows Installer Options:

"Windows 8 has a new UI called Metro. Would you prefer to use this or the traditional Start Menu?"

1.Metro
2.Start Menu

---

But no.

I can see various Start Menu tweaks being standard fare with the initial release of the OS if they continue to insist on Metro as the default.

Stupid.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 AM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy

I just installed it on my old machine with 512mb ram, it runs at the speed of light! Very snappy.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 AM

Aescaepulus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looks good, but has a ways to go. Also....

I have fielded a few support calls already about this, but it seems a lot of folks aren't reading the fine print about the OS being overwritten by Win 8, and that to return to the previous version the OEM disc would be needed....

I have already posted to my page the warning to have their install / recovery disc on hand before attempting the Win 8 install, as it is not a dual boot release!

Otherwise, Win 8 has a ways to go, which is what Microsoft said, but if they go the same route with customer input they did with Win 7, it'll be a winner.

I am more interested in what it will do in the mobile PC (tablet) environment, to see how well it will integrate into healthcare HIS /RIS operations.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM

ljtechservices is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ljtechservices

pulled an old laptop drive off the shelf and installed it on my laptop to mess with this weekend.

Dislikes:
User integration with Windows live on setup. you can just setup a local user but it's not readily apparent at the start.
start menu and the tabletly feeling. there should be a choice as was said by 16k_zx81. Desktop and tablet mode mayber?
The mail app doesn't have support for IMAP. not a deal killer but certainly annoying for a mail client.
Google integration only loads the default calendar in the calendar app. not good if you have several calendars.
I realize the apps probably aren't the finished product, but there are some glaring omissions.
I spent an hour working with it in a domain and hopefully there's some GPO's to control the start menu look and feel.

Likes: Doesn't look like they botched up anything that worked in win 7.
can still install my VPN client. remote to my clients, etc.

So far my verdict is a big fat "why bother unless you are forced to".
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM

agile is an unknown quantity at this point

suprised no one has talked about this: windows 8 push button reset