Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 AM

ArtemusComputerTechnology is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

1st step.....If the data recovery service is performed by in my shop. I do not charge. No data, no charge.

2nd and final step. If the data is very valuable to them. I will use Gillware Data Recovery to perform the data recovery service.

www.artemuscomptech.com
CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, & CCENT
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube
AVG Authorized Reseller
Old 02-23-2012, 04:34 AM

Crgky127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
Examples of when I tell them no data, no charge:
  • Old broke looking people.
  • It is obvious I CANNOT get data from the drive the first minute I spent with it. Wouldn't want to be a scum bag and pretend I could do something I know I couldn't.
  • It is obvious that I CAN get data from the drive the first minute I spent with it. Wouldn't want them to decide not to do data recovery just because they might not get the data and have to pay anyway.
  • In many cases I already have retrieved the data before I even talk to the customer, so naturally I tell them no data/no charge!
Examples of when I tell them I'm charging regardless:
  • They may fall into the first category above, however they are pressuring me about getting it done faster, stress it's importance to me repeatedly, hassle me with excessive phone calls and lengthy conversations, or are generally irritating for some other reason.
  • I haven't spent ANY time with the PC yet, they just brought it in and they are backing me in a corner about my pricing before I can diagnose it.
  • They admit that someone else tried already.
  • and last but not least, I don't know if I can get data or not, for whatever reason, but I know that I'll spend more than a minor amount of time trying.

Even then, sometimes I don't charge especially if it's the very last reason in the list. But I did cover my butt in case I wanted to charge for whatever reason.
Previously I have said no data no fee, but I will be going with FoolishTech's approach moving forward, it makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 AM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
Examples of when I tell them I'm charging regardless: [LIST][*]They may fall into the first category above, however they are pressuring me about getting it done faster, stress it's importance to me repeatedly, hassle me with excessive phone calls and lengthy conversations, or are generally irritating for some other reason.[*]I haven't spent ANY time with the PC yet, they just brought it in and they are backing me in a corner about my pricing before I can diagnose it.[*]They admit that someone else tried already.
This is hilarious and right on and I totally feel you! LOL

**At $300 Data Recovery, we actually have a no-data-no-charge policy. One reason is that we got a receptionist (aka a "client firewall") and therefore the first two points no longer applied

We also charge $50 up front if the cover has been opened (since the diagnosis is much more difficult and the drive has likely been further damaged beyond original problem). But if someone else just worked on it, although your chances decrease (and unless they opened the cover), it's probably still recoverable.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:53 PM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

I don't charge diagnostic fee but I discuss my data recovery flat rate with the customer ($299 for operational drive and $599 for dead drive <2GB . I only do diag if they are willing to pay the recovery fee. Like most data recovery, I offer no data no pay but I already have retrieved the important data that I guarantee.

I also offer free shipping for data recovered if customer allows me to keep the bad drive as donor drive.

Last edited by rsarceno; 06-06-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Curious if you are using the same tools as us (or if not, what you are using)?

http://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/tools.html.

If not, please consider us before sending off to clean room.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 AM

dominexsus can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
Hello all. Do you charge a data recovery attempt fee even when you aren't able to recover any data? Thanks.
I never charge for unsuccessful attempt and I offer this no recover no fee to my potential customers over the phone and they appear in my shop next hour. every one like to pay and get something in return and we like to work and get something too but this is one of those things that you can see it as future investment for your business by keeping customer happy and maybe even get him kick some word of mouth for your business.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 AM

Agreed. If you are looking for repeat business, I think this is important. No one will come twice if they paid for nothing the first time.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

My official policy used to be $100, which always bit me on the ass when someone was handed a recovery of most or all of their items. I always get the phone calls on how they find what they are looking for and how to copy them to their computer. This was especially the case when I worked with an older gentleman a few months back who had a completely corrupted HDD on a G5 iMac. The recovery software I used in that instance arranged it into files based on the file type, which is annoying, but it was just how it was written to operate. For a solid week, I got phone calls several times a day. Wasn't worth the $100.

Ive increased it to $200 that is payable upfront, though I usually discount this by half for university students as they tend to be one of my better demographics for referrals for this service. They almost never bother me.

Last week I had a client bring in a hdd that would spin, but not mount in any tool or OS. The PCB was burned as I discovered when I removed it. Luckily, I had an exact revision of this same hdd. As this was a local tax assessor with the only copy of his townships tax records and payments from the past ten years, he was more than willing to pay $300 for this.

In the cases that I am not able to get data back or if it looks pretty hopeless, I usually charge my bench fee at the least. I try to spend as much time on these cases and exhaust all available methods, so there is a time investment that should be compensated for. I am the owner and do 'no-charges' as I see fit, but it doesnt make good business sense to do this in general.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Tony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura aboutTony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
Hello all. Do you charge a data recovery attempt fee even when you aren't able to recover any data? Thanks.
We will attempt a backup free but after that its $250 for us to attempt to recover data with more effort than a normal backup.

We find that people will have you spin your wheels for their stuff then say its not worth your time, so we give them a threshold to spend before we attempt it. We also warn it could be more like $1000 but we will either get it for the $250 or stop at the $250 without getting additional permission to proceed.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 AM

tim fitzgerald is on a distinguished road

I agree with Nick (Foolish it). However it's a judgement call, peoples attitude, the way they treat you all comes into play. We profile everyone every day and make instant judgements then go with your instincts. Developing a reliable sh_t screen is very important.