Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road
Default Do you charge a data recovery attempt fee?

Hello all. Do you charge a data recovery attempt fee even when you aren't able to recover any data? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

No I don't generally.........I think people appreciate you don't kick someone when they're down. Normally you pick other work up from them somewhere along the line.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 PM

mraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nicemraikes is just really nice

Nope, me neither. No data no charge.

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a ukulele. And that's pretty close." Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Yes. My fee is split into two parts: assessment and recovery. Assessment is 50% of total, recovery constituting the other 50% of the fee.

Customers do not seem to mind. In fact, I dont recall anyone ever saying "no thanks" when I have told them thats how it works.

The reason I charge the fee is because it takes time to do the assessment and Im not interested in performing any tasks for free.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM

pc-quebec is on a distinguished road

I will not charge for an actual customer or a potential one, but for those Joe Kid who just come to see you when they have problem they can’t fix on their friend PC , no way, I will ask an advance deposit. I don't mind they go another place after.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:22 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

We do, but only in special cases. Basically, we have three "levels" of data recovery.
"Level 1" is basically plugging the drive in and copying data. If that's not successful, we don't charge for the attempt. From there we usually try to give the customer a reasonable expectation if we'll be able to recover anything in the shop.
"Level 2" is if the drive is responding but unreadable, formatted, deleted files, etc. This usually involves us capturing an image of the drive and recovering from the image if possible. We do charge for that attempt, (50%, like 16k does) simply because of the amount of time it takes to work with the drive and the fact that it essentially makes one of our machines unavailable to us for a day (sometimes at a minimum). The real key is to give an honest expectation if we this we'll be successful...and if we don't, we usually don't even offer.
"Level 3" is when we send the drive out. If we've attempted level 2, and were unsuccessful, we waive any fees if they do this option.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

We charge for a diagnostics up front. Most of the time when we have to do a data recovery, it is because a computers hard drive crashed and they wanted to repair it. The cost of that diagnostics always goes towards the cost of repairs or services. However, if someone were to bring in a HDD by itself, as long as I do not have to take it apart, I will not charge anything unless able to recover the data. If its an external and I have to take it apart, its going to be $50 for the time spent, which again will go towards the cost of the data recovery.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
Yes. My fee is split into two parts: assessment and recovery. Assessment is 50% of total, recovery constituting the other 50% of the fee.

Customers do not seem to mind. In fact, I dont recall anyone ever saying "no thanks" when I have told them thats how it works.

The reason I charge the fee is because it takes time to do the assessment and Im not interested in performing any tasks for free.
I like your approach. I would like to implement something similar into my pricing. I haven't officially "launched" my company yet but I will be sure to keep this in mind. As for the other responders...thanks for the input!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by degresh View Post
I like your approach. I would like to implement something similar into my pricing. I haven't officially "launched" my company yet but I will be sure to keep this in mind. As for the other responders...thanks for the input!
Yeah, I agree with 16k. However, if I try and mount a drive and it clearly wont mount or its clicking, then I wont charge a diagnostics or assessment fee.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 AM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Examples of when I tell them no data, no charge:
  • Old broke looking people.
  • It is obvious I CANNOT get data from the drive the first minute I spent with it. Wouldn't want to be a scum bag and pretend I could do something I know I couldn't.
  • It is obvious that I CAN get data from the drive the first minute I spent with it. Wouldn't want them to decide not to do data recovery just because they might not get the data and have to pay anyway.
  • In many cases I already have retrieved the data before I even talk to the customer, so naturally I tell them no data/no charge!
Examples of when I tell them I'm charging regardless:
  • They may fall into the first category above, however they are pressuring me about getting it done faster, stress it's importance to me repeatedly, hassle me with excessive phone calls and lengthy conversations, or are generally irritating for some other reason.
  • I haven't spent ANY time with the PC yet, they just brought it in and they are backing me in a corner about my pricing before I can diagnose it.
  • They admit that someone else tried already.
  • and last but not least, I don't know if I can get data or not, for whatever reason, but I know that I'll spend more than a minor amount of time trying.

Even then, sometimes I don't charge especially if it's the very last reason in the list. But I did cover my butt in case I wanted to charge for whatever reason.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!