Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Dameize is on a distinguished road
Default 1K GBP How to Spend?

As you all know ive been 'going to launch' for a while now. Ive finally been aproved for my loan and I launch monday!. I will have 1k gbp at my side to help me.

I need to know what you guys think I should spend it on. I want to keep atleast 300gbp to one side for pitfalls.

Equipment wise i currently have ram for each type ddr1,2,3 and laptop, desktop as well as basic things such as sata cables, usb ethernet, wireless adapter, thermal paste, blank dvds, POST card and whatnot.

What else should I buy and what advertisement should I invest in?.

Im looking at leaflets (some TNers seem to think thats bad though) and local paper adds @ 30 a month.

All help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 PM

TLE is on a distinguished road

We have a local magazine here call the 'On Your Doorstep, which is a monthly A5 book of various local businesses. I use this as my primary source of advertising other than word of mouth. The advert costs me 50 incl VAT a month for an 1/8th of a page.

This sould give you an idea of what I am talking about.
http://www.onyourdoorstep.co.uk

Check out your local area to see if there is somthing simliar.
Papers and leaflets I always think tend to get binned very quickly, where as, people see the benefit of keeping these handy just in case.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

have a look for local networking events like BNI, 4 networking and chamber events to name a few and see which ones fit you best.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM

geeknz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try not to buy any stock unless you actually need it.
i.e. if you are in a job and realise you need a PSU - just explain to the customer that you will need to go and collect one from your supplier. Nobody expects you to have every single computer component in your vehicle or workshop.
Don't tie cash up in unnecessary stock.

Believe it or not, I got my business off the ground using $23 of black and white flyers. My business now does well into six figures per year. But let me elaborate on that $23 because the devil is in the details...

*I had studied copywriting so my flyer sizzled and got heaps of calls (free to learn)
*My fiance is in the print industry - she got a great deal on printing. I got 1000 A5 flyers for $23 (put a message out on your Facebook asking who knows a printer?)
*I walked for 8 hours a day, for about 3 days dropping flyers in my local suburbs. My feets were covered in blisters by the end of it. But I got them all delivered. And the phone started ringing. (delivery can also be free if you do it)

Remember: If you are cash poor, you will generally be time rich. Use the time to your advantage.

Another advertising medium that worked (and still works) GREAT is my local newspaper. I just had a small ad in the classifieds section at the back. But AGAIN - good copywriting and clever ad design make all the difference.

Most important of all. Reinvest as much of your profit back into more of the advertising that is working. Scale it up as money permits.

Good luck!

Computer repairs Hamilton
Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

As I said in another thread get an Amazon Prime account at around 45 per year and you can get next day delivery on Prime parts. I've orderd late in the day and still got it the following day.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Fixedathome.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
As I said in another thread get an Amazon Prime account at around 45 per year and you can get next day delivery on Prime parts. I've orderd late in the day and still got it the following day.
I second that. I have a local supplier as well but its far easier ordering the part from Amazon and it being delivered the next day (Usually at a cheaper price than the local supplier) and I don't have to drive there to pick it up.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Whatever ads you buy make damn sure you track all your incoming calls. Ask "Where did you hear about us?" and make use of the data. Put more money into what's working and stop what isn't.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. In regards to flyers Im looking at getting 5,000 for 50 pound (ive had samples and they are perfect) double sided in colour to..

I will be distributing them my self.

Amazon prime seems like a very nice thing to have. I will probably get it once i start getting customers.

In regards to copywriting and making my leaflet stand out does anyone have any suggestions?. I know a guy who owns a media company and he gets tons of flyer orders. I can get them a lot cheaper then his apparent cost is but I can go to him for advice on layout probably. Ill also have it made up and will show it on TN before printing.

I know I wont use the 1k at all really but its handy to have in the background.

Cheers.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 PM

RichmondTech will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubya View Post
Whatever ads you buy make damn sure you track all your incoming calls. Ask "Where did you hear about us?" and make use of the data. Put more money into what's working and stop what isn't.
Bingo.

Before that money goes burning a hole into your pocket, can you list your 8-10 strategies to bring in business? Strategies include flyers, networking and referral groups, newsletters, etc.

If you don't have your 8-10 strategies, you can easily burn through all of that money and more and still not be anywhere.

Computer Repair Richmond VA
Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM

Here are my current strategies.

1: Leaflet drops
2: Facebook selling pages
3: Advertisements in shop windows
4: the local paper
5: google
6: Incentives for repeat customers and referrals
7: Having family and friends share my site url on facebook etc
8: Depending on how I end up feeling about it I may hand out business cards at the local primary school at the end of the day every now and then to parents
9: I may sign up to my local business chamber depending on costing

Thats about it really and good old fashioned word of mouth.

Any further suggestions?