Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 AM

kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
I doubt Microsoft will ever put out anything decent that will actually be secure, unless they completely rewrite the kernel. With that being said, Windows 7 is by for the best "piece of crap" that Microsoft has ever created to date.
But really...Would we want them to create anything decent, more secure and stabile. If it wasn't for Microsoft Software; I'd be flipping burgers
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjhaag View Post
But really...Would we want them to create anything decent, more secure and stabile. If it wasn't for Microsoft Software; I'd be flipping burgers
LOL, good point . . . .

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 AM

pc-quebec is on a distinguished road

Why Iím in this tread, because, you said that a guy is not a tech if he donít master Linux , How can it be, what is the use, I donít have customers who have it. I donít need to master Linux to use Clonezilla or other disk utility, do I need to master Linux to setup a Cisco router ? or a Dell PowerVault san ? Do I need Linux to configure a ESXi server ( itís a Linux kernel call vmkernel ) I donít think so, itís fair easy. I will say 99% of the forum members donít need Linux at all. Time will be better spent learning PowerShell, very useful to debug Windows, As for Windows not be perfect, well Iím quite happy with it, itís bring food on the table no ?

I think the problem is not me not knowing Linux enough, it's probably that you use too crapy PC to run Windows, If you use a Sandy Bridge i5 or i7 with a SSD , I do see what can be faster. I click my Word icon 1 sec. to open, I click ie 1 sec. How long it take to open Firefox in Linux ? Tell the truth please. Not the second time you open it, the first time after you let your OS load.

Anyway enough playing with this, I donít need Linux to be a good tech, proof of it I have a very good living since 30 years I do this job. Letís say for my Linux is just a curiosity.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-quebec View Post
Why Iím in this tread, because, you said that a guy is not a tech if he donít master Linux , How can it be, what is the use, I donít have customers who have it. I donít need to master Linux to use Clonezilla or other disk utility, do I need to master Linux to setup a Cisco router ? or a Dell PowerVault san ? Do I need Linux to configure a ESXi server ( itís a Linux kernel call vmkernel ) I donít think so, itís fair easy. I will say 99% of the forum members donít need Linux at all. Time will be better spent learning PowerShell, very useful to debug Windows, As for Windows not be perfect, well Iím quite happy with it, itís bring food on the table no ?

I think the problem is not me not knowing Linux enough, it's probably that you use too crapy PC to run Windows, If you use a Sandy Bridge i5 or i7 with a SSD , I do see what can be faster. I click my Word icon 1 sec. to open, I click ie 1 sec. How long it take to open Firefox in Linux ? Tell the truth please. Not the second time you open it, the first time after you let your OS load.

Anyway enough playing with this, I donít need Linux to be a good tech, proof of it I have a very good living since 30 years I do this job. Letís say for my Linux is just a curiosity.
Sorry, but . . . . LOL

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 AM

Crgky127 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not a linux vs windows thread.

This thread is just for people that are already fairly well versed in linux, so that they can discuss an evolution of distros from beginner to 'hardcore', to aid in learning linux.

Whether you need to know linux is another thread. This thread assumes a situation with a need for linux knowledge. This is more likely to be a corporate server situation as opposed to break-fix, but that's besides the point. And yes, linux can be used in a break-fix situation (another full time linux shop here), but data recoveries and virus removals aided by linux do not require knowing how linux works, they just require knowing how to boot it up and run some tools (at most how to mount a partition).

Now, what distro do you recommend as a good first for beginners? What distro is a good second? Third?.....
Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM

SilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crgky127 View Post
Now, what distro do you recommend as a good first for beginners? What distro is a good second? Third?.....
Years ago I had a lot of luck with PCLinuxOS. At the time it was heavily rooted in Mandrake, very user friendly and an easy transition from windows. It was super fast too, even with a full blown KDE desktop. It's been many years since I've played with it, but I have fond memories of it. It also had a fairly robust and knowledgeable community at the time.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crgky127 View Post
This is not a linux vs windows thread.

This thread is just for people that are already fairly well versed in linux, so that they can discuss an evolution of distros from beginner to 'hardcore', to aid in learning linux.

Whether you need to know linux is another thread. This thread assumes a situation with a need for linux knowledge. This is more likely to be a corporate server situation as opposed to break-fix, but that's besides the point. And yes, linux can be used in a break-fix situation (another full time linux shop here), but data recoveries and virus removals aided by linux do not require knowing how linux works, they just require knowing how to boot it up and run some tools (at most how to mount a partition).

Sorry.

To answer your question, ubuntu or linux mint is a great way to start out, but I would probably start out with a version about a year old, before they started to replace gnome. You can then move on to Debian and from there it just depends on how much you want to learn and what your intended purposes are.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

If I were working in an I.T. Room I would say - Yes, It would behove you to learn and know linux. After all, Alot of rooms run linux boxes now. Linux's big inroads are the i.t. rooms and such. Not the desktop. With the switch to Unity and Gnome3 I dont see the desktop enviroment any time sooner. Its a step back IMHO.

However, learning and knowing linux does help even if all you do is service windows boxes. Its very versitile and does a fantastic job.

I get the opinion from alot of teks that "They tried it and hated it because they had some problem with it". Have to remember that linux is not well supported by the hardware driver industry. They have to reverse engineer alot of stuff and that takes time. For what it is, Linux is a great tool in the field and I use it everyday and prefer it over windows.

Do you need to know linux? Not really. But its nice too.

Are you a poor tek if you dont know linux? No. Lots of people make great livings just doing windows. But I can tell you that knowing linux has helped me ALOT to overcome alot of problems and limitations. Its a valuable tool.

coffee

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
With the switch to Unity and Gnome3 I dont see the desktop enviroment any time sooner. Its a step back IMHO.
Agreed.......................

Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 AM

dbdawn will become famous soon enough

Maybe some interesting info over at Hard Forums regarding Linux and which distros to try.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1646914
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1672684