Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM

tauzin23 is on the way
Thumbs up FAST way to install a fresh copy of Windows XP or Vista!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to mention my procedure for installing a fresh copy windows xp or vista. I use Acronis True Image Workstation Echo with Universal Restore for this.

1) I backup all important data from the PC first.

2) Then I Install any flavor of Windows XP or Vista on my test machine which happens to be a desktop computer that I have custom built.

3) Then I install all drivers and any other software I would like my customers to have such as: Firefox, XP SP3, Vista SP1, thunderbird, ccleaner, etc. I also perform all of my tweaks and settings at this time.

4) Next I connect my enternal USB (500GB) hard drive to my test machine. Then I boot it from my bootable Acronis disk that I created.

5) From the Acronis boot disk screen I then choose to "Backup". Then browse to a folder I created on the USB drive for that flavor of windows and back it up there.

6) I repeat this for each flavor of windows that I have. Done.

When I have a client's machine that I need to install a fresh copy of windows on I connect my USB backup drive to it and boot from my Acronis "boot disk" and choose to "Restore" and choose to use "Universal Restore" option. This is the important step because this will load generic drivers so windows can boot up.

My client's machine will also ask me to re-activate windows. To do this legally I choose to activate by telephone and choose "Change Product key" and then enter that particular machine's product key from the sticker on it. Then I choose to activate by internet and if that doesn't go through I'll call Microsoft's toll free number.

This method does take a bit of a setup to get all images done. But after that it makes it a lot faster for me than from the Windows CD's.

Every few months I'll reload my images into my "test machine" and update the software and then re-backup my images to my USB drive.

Hope this helps someone... I works very well for me both on-site and at my office.

Last edited by tauzin23; 10-10-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 PM

tauzin23 is on the way
Talking

It is a bit of a setup, but I can install the fresh copy of XP in about 15 min. with USB 2.0 vs. about 1hr. from CD. This is a big plus when on-site!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Pc Fixed Right is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pc Fixed Right

I was going to say that seems excessive but if you can do it in 15 minutes than I too will have to try it. I will let you know how it goes. =)
Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 PM

jcconsulting is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Acronis

I actually use Acronis Trueimage for some repairs. I have problems restore image using specific drivers though. It really depends on the system that you are restoring. Some of the Dell units are finicky.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:11 AM

WareDat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been kicking this idea around for a few days myself, just haven't had the time to try it on a customers machine yet. The only thing I was going to do differently was install in VMWare. A few problem I've noticed is if you install without a key you can only get the critical updates from automatic update so you still need to spend time updating after installed and activated on a clients pc. Or you need to buy a key for each flavor of windows you plan on doing this with, but if you did have a key for each version you could just update in VMWare once a month, boot your virtual machine off the Acronis boot cd and burn a new cd.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 AM

stevenamills is on a distinguished road

Tauzin,

I'm a little confused and it is probably my lackj of understanding of Universal Restore.

You mention that it installs generic drivers - that I understand.

When and how do you install the drivers for the restored machine?

Thanks.......
Steve
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM

joe3k is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Acronis and it's great, however I have never used the Universal restore feature. I tried the Acronis Universal restore from a laptop (fresh install, with no drivers added) to a pc (Win XP Pro OEM) and it didn't work - blue screen reboot. Do you ever experience problems with it? Should I have stuck with just pc to pc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzin23 View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to mention my procedure for installing a fresh copy windows xp or vista. I use Acronis True Image Workstation Echo with Universal Restore for this.

1) I backup all important data from the PC first.

2) Then I Install any flavor of Windows XP or Vista on my test machine which happens to be a desktop computer that I have custom built.

3) Then I install all drivers and any other software I would like my customers to have such as: Firefox, XP SP3, Vista SP1, thunderbird, ccleaner, etc. I also perform all of my tweaks and settings at this time.

4) Next I connect my enternal USB (500GB) hard drive to my test machine. Then I boot it from my bootable Acronis disk that I created.

5) From the Acronis boot disk screen I then choose to "Backup". Then browse to a folder I created on the USB drive for that flavor of windows and back it up there.

6) I repeat this for each flavor of windows that I have. Done.

When I have a client's machine that I need to install a fresh copy of windows on I connect my USB backup drive to it and boot from my Acronis "boot disk" and choose to "Restore" and choose to use "Universal Restore" option. This is the important step because this will load generic drivers so windows can boot up.

My client's machine will also ask me to re-activate windows. To do this legally I choose to activate by telephone and choose "Change Product key" and then enter that particular machine's product key from the sticker on it. Then I choose to activate by internet and if that doesn't go through I'll call Microsoft's toll free number.

This method does take a bit of a setup to get all images done. But after that it makes it a lot faster for me than from the Windows CD's.

Every few months I'll reload my images into my "test machine" and update the software and then re-backup my images to my USB drive.

Hope this helps someone... I works very well for me both on-site and at my office.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM

arrow_runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to arrow_runner Send a message via MSN to arrow_runner Send a message via Yahoo to arrow_runner

I went from PC to Laptop last week no problem.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 PM

Ok. I'll try the restore on another pc and see what happens. It was an old pc I'd lying about. I'll try it on a known good one.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Well holy smokes it worked. Now that's impressive. What about sid's etc. I guess I could include NewSID sid changer in the image, say on the desktop and then simply delete it once the job has been done. Any views on this?