Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM

othersteve is on a distinguished road

All right, got my DeepSpar unit in yesterday and set it to work on a badly damaged Samsung 250 GB. Already I've recovered over 90% of the data, and though I'll never get 100% of this particular drive, I'm currently working toward 95% on a second pass.

This thing is amazing, every bit as much as everyone says. I bought the network add-on also and am currently sitting at my in-laws' 2 hours away remotely controlling its operations. I can reset the drive, adjust parameters, inspect recovered files, search for filesystems, and much, much more. It's simply amazing.

The biggest disappointment initially for me was how long it still takes to process really bad drives. This particular drive, without some voluntary skipping, would take many months to complete. And it's unlikely much of the really bad areas are even readable, too. The reason why is that it requires a power cycle after almost every single read in the badly-damaged areas. It may in fact be a bad read head, but I can't image by heads on Samsung drives (the one limitation in that regard), so I don't know for sure.

But boy is it awesome. The time and stress this thing is likely to save me is sure to be enormous. Anyone got any questions?

Born a technician, though always willing to learn and improve. :)

Managing Editor, DigitalChumps.com
Senior Editor, Notebookcheck
Laptop Dude, PC Perspective
Owner/Sole Proprieter, Triple-S Computers
Old 02-11-2012, 06:40 PM

pcman2010 is on a distinguished road

Can you post a link where you bought it? Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 PM

There are some used Version 3s available on eBay, but the best and really the only place to get a new one is from DeepSpar themselves I think.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Galdorf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by othersteve View Post
All right, got my DeepSpar unit in yesterday and set it to work on a badly damaged Samsung 250 GB. Already I've recovered over 90% of the data, and though I'll never get 100% of this particular drive, I'm currently working toward 95% on a second pass.

This thing is amazing, every bit as much as everyone says. I bought the network add-on also and am currently sitting at my in-laws' 2 hours away remotely controlling its operations. I can reset the drive, adjust parameters, inspect recovered files, search for filesystems, and much, much more. It's simply amazing.

The biggest disappointment initially for me was how long it still takes to process really bad drives. This particular drive, without some voluntary skipping, would take many months to complete. And it's unlikely much of the really bad areas are even readable, too. The reason why is that it requires a power cycle after almost every single read in the badly-damaged areas. It may in fact be a bad read head, but I can't image by heads on Samsung drives (the one limitation in that regard), so I don't know for sure.

But boy is it awesome. The time and stress this thing is likely to save me is sure to be enormous. Anyone got any questions?
How long did it take to do the initial pass?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There are some used Version 3s available on eBay, but the best and really the only place to get a new one is from DeepSpar themselves I think.
Hi Steve,

I'm debating if I should get the Network or Current Monitoring add-on. Can't I just load RDP on the imaging station and access it remotely. With the Current Monitoring, I hoping it will give me some indication if I should try PCB swap or not. Each PCB cost approx $50 and it's only good for that particular drive. I wish I could just purchase both.

Thanks for you help.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdorf View Post
How long did it take to do the initial pass?
Keep in mind again that this drive was REALLY bad, and that it constantly required repowering and could not be head-mapped by the DDI.

Even still, our recovery was around 95% after three weeks of imaging. The customer was thrilled to have the data back and was happy to pay the $349 for it!

@rsarceno:

The DDI doesn't run from within Windows; only DRE does, and if you don't have the networking add-on, it requires you to unhook the Destination drive from the DDI, walk it over to the DRE Windows-based workstation, hook it up, and perform scans/recoveries from there. And you can't perform targeted recovery on many filesystems this way, either (FAT, FAT32, EXT2/3/4). Only NTFS can be done this way I believe.

The networking add-on is worth every penny anyway IMO. I don't have the current monitor add-on so I'm not sure about that one, but I don't do any PCB swaps anyway.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:40 AM

Galdorf will become famous soon enough

I was thinking of getting deepspar but can it actually read drive that are otherwise unreadable normally like drives with click of death, there is no info if it can , i get quite a few in like that i end up sending to data recovery costing the customer 800-1000 dollars.

One of the most common problems though is also with firmware i know there is a tool you can buy to fix that it not cheap either.

Problem is deepspar seems very limited with what it can do compared to say Atola Insight

HDD Diagnosis.
Firmware Recovery and Password Removal.
HDD Duplication / Backup Image Creation.
File Recovery.

Last edited by Galdorf; 04-14-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Problem is deepspar seems very limited with what it can do compared to say Atola Insight
I recently purchase DeepSpar Disk Imaging. I spends weeks researching for the best product. The two that stand for imaging is DDI and Atola. But I decided to go with DDI. My two main deciding factors are:

1) DDI has the ability to create and use head maps. This is a major factor. Some of the drive fails due to head crash. With DDI, you can instruct it to image the disk skipping the bad head. You might be able to stop at this point if you can recover a specific data. If not, change the bad head and mirror the remaining head. This give you assurance incase the tech replacing the head messed up.

2) The price for Atola is approx $500 less then DDI. But you pay Atola $500 yearly for upgrade while DDI is lifetime free software upgrade. After two year DDI would be cheaper.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The DDI doesn't run from within Windows; only DRE does, and if you don't have the networking add-on, it requires you to unhook the Destination drive from the DDI, walk it over to the DRE Windows-based workstation, hook it up, and perform scans/recoveries from there. And you can't perform targeted recovery on many filesystems this way, either (FAT, FAT32, EXT2/3/4). Only NTFS can be done this way I believe.
Steve, thanks for the info otherwise I would have been disappointed for not getting the network add-on. Serge gave me a good deal, so I end up buying both add-on.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
I was thinking of getting deepspar but can it actually read drive that are otherwise unreadable normally like drives with click of death, there is no info if it can , i get quite a few in like that i end up sending to data recovery costing the customer 800-1000 dollars.

One of the most common problems though is also with firmware i know there is a tool you can buy to fix that it not cheap either.

HDD Diagnosis.
Firmware Recovery and Password Removal.
HDD Duplication / Backup Image Creation.
File Recovery.
Was this question ever answered?

I'm looking into this right now and would like to know before I start to commit funds to it.

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.

Tags
bad sectors, deepspar, failing drive, hard drive, imaging