Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 PM

MSgherzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How far apart do APs need to be?

I have a business in which I am going to need to get a lot of wireless users online at one time, and I am probably going to need to put anywhere from 4-5 APs in a single room. WLAN controllers aside, how far apart should they be in order to minimize interference from one another? Or is it simply a matter of turning down their power in order to try and cover a smaller distance within that individual room?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 PM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgherzi View Post
I have a business in which I am going to need to get a lot of wireless users online at one time, and I am probably going to need to put anywhere from 4-5 APs in a single room. WLAN controllers aside, how far apart should they be in order to minimize interference from one another? Or is it simply a matter of turning down their power in order to try and cover a smaller distance within that individual room?

Thanks!
Cisco says 1 ap for every 5000 sf for data. This number didn't work for me, For 7500 sf, I end up deploying 6 Ap's. If your using Cisco WLC, you need to cover each section with 3 AP for triangulation to take advantage of the WLC management. Just make sure the channel setting for each AP is a least 4 channel apart to avoid conflict.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgherzi View Post
and I am probably going to need to put anywhere from 4-5 APs in a single room. WLAN controllers aside,
To be honest...I'd not try to do that...4-5 in one room...each running independently (without a controller). How many people? Get a couple of biz grade ones with a controller that can handle lots of concurrent clients and automatically handles the load balancing of clients and seamless handoffs. 4-5 in one room..you will end up with at least a couple that overlap channels..and that close together...will be bad.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 AM

MSgherzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
To be honest...I'd not try to do that...4-5 in one room...each running independently (without a controller). How many people? Get a couple of biz grade ones with a controller that can handle lots of concurrent clients and automatically handles the load balancing of clients and seamless handoffs. 4-5 in one room..you will end up with at least a couple that overlap channels..and that close together...will be bad.
Well I honestly did plan on using a WLAN Controller and some business grade APs, I just wasn't sure how many I could get into one room without causing any problems.

EDIT: Around 75 people.

Last edited by MSgherzi; 01-13-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM

krtechsolutions is on a distinguished road

The controller "should" be smart enough to adjust power settings and the channel to avoid noise from other close APs.