Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM

Dameize is on a distinguished road
Default What do you guys stick on computers?

Hello everyone,
Ill be starting my pc repair business in the coming weeks so at the minute im developing my business plan and gathering the things I will need a bit at a time.

Anyway, I remember at my old job my boss would put small stickers on a pc that was serviced probably those little return address sized ones with just the logo and serviced by xyz if you get my drift.

What do you guys use for this? just print your own? ive been scouting ebay found these but the one shown looks pretty crappy to be honest although they apparently make custom ones. I know like 3gbp isnt a lot but how much would it cost to print that many of your own? I cant see it being far off..

Heres the link to it tell me what you think. If thats now allowed can the mod just post the item number or something as im looking for feedback as im considering trying it out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Cheers.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM

nesrinamb is on the way

I never done that but what i do place is a anti-tampering sticker since I provide a 30 day warranty for hardware repairs (software isn't covered under any warranty).
Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM

I looked at those, and will probably get some for if i get that kind of business.

I do think though that having a sticker on the pc would work as most people wont be bothered to move it and next time they have an issue they will have your name in mind from seing it all the time
Old 12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

I use return address labels. They have space for my work order #.

Name, Address, tel no's.

You can get them from almost anywhere. Vistaprint are good for these. Although I wouldnt recommend vistaprint for your business cards.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 12-04-2011, 07:42 PM

I got some business cards a while back for my website stuff, they were alright but definitely not as good as some others ive seen. Ive priced some up on ebay from vendors there and you can get 5k 350gsm ones for like 50gbp so ive asked for some samples and if they're good ill just get them there.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

I use PCRT for my main job logging etc and part of that system is an asset label printing feature that I use to print from my Dymo Labelwriter printer. On that label is my company name, phone number, job bar code and ID. All computer and assets get a label stuck to them so I keep track what belongs to what. I leave them on and it's up to the client to remove them if they want(easily removed).
Old 12-04-2011, 08:26 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

All I put on them is the product key sticker...

Now I've been meaning to change that and just haven't researched a good place to buy some nice ... not quite stickers, but not quite case badges, (been a long weekend, whadda ya call em?)

I worked for a company once that only serviced business clients, and would put a bar code (with numbers) thing like I described above, a really stiff sticky badge, on each workstation we serviced.

Along with that, all software, hard copy of licenses, and other items belonging to that particular workstation were placed in a nice plastic folder with the same bar code / numbers on it.

This was so when the customer piled all of their misc junk in a closet, we could easily determine which workstation the package of stuff belonged to - things never got confused that way.

Naturally they also did some inventory/tracking of the workstations through these numbers as well. We typically included the numbers in the COMPUTER NAME when setting up the workstation, so we could track the who/what easily with our remote monitoring software.

The sticker things were small and discrete enough that I wouldn't have any objection to placing them on home users systems either. Normally I'm against that sort of thing... putting stuff on home PCs, like those stickers that are extremely cheap, tacky, LARGE, and impossible to peel off without a heat gun and patience that Best Buy / Geek Squad put on people's PCs. That's just offensive to me.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

I'm not against anti-tampering sticker, but I felt in doing so force the customer to limit on who can service the computer. If we are going to push this mentality, then most of our clients will go to Best buys, Frys electronic and so on because that's where they bought it.

There are so many products that are now DIY. If you have a sticker, then you have to emphasize no DIY like a memory upgrade. Just imagine what a Geek Squad technician would say, "I cannot service your computer because it will void the warranty." Then they might say big companies like Dell, HP etc doesn't work like this anymore I don't understand.. just bad rep...

I understand the importance of, the sticker because I use to do it 20 years ago when building clone machine, but I am not sure if it's a good idea to stay competitive.

Last edited by rsarceno; 12-04-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsarceno View Post
I understand the importance of, the sticker because I use to do it 20 years ago when building clone machine, but I am not sure if it's a good idea to stay competitive.
Oh yes, anti-tampering / void warranty sticker. I don't believe in that myself...

However on the anti-tampering subject... not sure if it's urban legend or not, but a fellow tech once told me he knew/worked for/(or something) a tech shop that taped a cheap rubber chicken on the inside/bottom of the computer case with their custom builds.

If a client ever called up and asked why there was a rubber chicken in the computer, they then knew that customer just voided their warranty. More precise than looking for a sticker that has been peeled back. *shrug*

Maybe that was urban legend... but the guy was a little whacky... anyone ever heard of that?

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 PM

I understand completely but what about in the upgrade prospective.

If it was me and I was offering a 30day warranty I would probably want to put a warranty sticker on it but I would date it. Say I serviced it on the 1st of may I would put a sticker on saying 'Warranty void if removed before May 31' that way they can remove it after the 30 days and it doesnt matter.